Discuss Bathroom halogen lights help in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

Hussar

Hi there. I have read a few posts about halogen lights not working, but still can't solve the problem. All six halogen lights in my bathroom failed at the same time. I have changed bulbs to no avail. I have tested a bulb on the wire from the 12v output and it works, so the transformer (which powers all 6 lights) seems to work. I can't now work out, why if there is 12v power on the wire to the ceramic light fitting, the lights don't work, and what would have caused them all to stop working at the same time. Any suggestions? Thanks

Hmmm, if the lamp lights when you connect it directly to the output of the transformer then it sounds like a loose wire or bad connection. The wiring on the secondary side of lighting transformers is particularly prone to failure because of the very high currents involved. It's also possible that the transformer has an integrated secondary fuse that's blown and when you did your test you somehow inadvertently bypassed the blown fuse. Post a few pictures of the transformer and the connections, it might help us give you better info.

Get your test meter out and test it.

Thanks for the advice. I saw my sparky in the village, he suggested that, over time, I had changed bulbs and used 50w ones, so eventually the transformer has been overloaded. So I replaced all bulbs with 20w, no change, I then remove all but one bulb to see if just one would work, nothing....I don't have a tester, but I still don't understand how, if a bulb lights at a junction point, it doesn't light in the socket which is 2ft further down from the junction, unless, as has been suggested, the wire is faulty. Is it possible that all wires could fail at the same time due to me overloading the transformer? I would take a photo of the transformer, but my iPhone keeps saying memory full, which exasperates me and thousands of other users...and the transformer is a pig to get to...

Two things here....electronic transformers do not operate unless under load, so under load you need to check voltage....fault is either transformer gone, or fault on outgoing supply to halogens.

Where in northants are you?. This is my area so i could help if need be

Thanks - I'm in Eydon, Nr Daventry...and thanks Tazz. Maybe I'm being really thick, but if a light works, at a junction on the 12v side of the transformer, then presumably the transformer is working? And logic suggests that, if the light doesn't work when attached to a wire leading from that junction, then the wire is faulty. But if all that is true, what would cause all 5 lights to stop working at the same moment? Hence my question, could overloading have fried all wires at the same time?

Reply to Bathroom halogen lights help in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock