Discuss Bathroom Heater - wired into Shaving socket?.... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

adammm

Hi Guys, I was wondering you could help me.

I want to fit a Bathroom Fan Heater into my bathroom and the only mains power will be the shaver socket ( which is conveniently just 50 cm below were I want the heater to be!) - I can hardwire directly to that? I do not use the shaver socket, so if it needs to be changed to another type of socket that's fine.

Many thanks!

Adammm,

Presuming this is not a joke, and just in case it is, I will start by being flippant and asking of your heater has a two pin 230v or 120v plug, in which case it may well will fit into your shaver socket.

Now, you did not ask if it will work, or be safe, which are actually more pertinent. No, of course, so don't try...

Before 'we' can advise, you would need to furnish details of the cable that supplies the socket, the protective devices pertaining to it, and other devices / accessories supplied by it.

Only then could I help, however there are others that may know better.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum.

Adam, Welcome to the forum.
sparks are like buses, there will be loads along shortly.
Good question, not as easy as you first thought, is it. The crazy guy above is correct though, there is a lot more info needed and only a slim chance it can be done as you say without alot of alterations to that supply.
Best bet is to get a sparks in to look at it.

Hi Guys, I was wondering you could help me.

I want to fit a Bathroom Fan Heater into my bathroom and the only mains power will be the shaver socket ( which is conveniently just 50 cm below were I want the heater to be!) - I can hardwire directly to that? I do not use the shaver socket, so if it needs to be changed to another type of socket that's fine.

Many thanks!

It's highly unlikely that a heater can be wired to a shaver socket,such a socket will normally be supplied from the local 6a lighting circuit. Installing a bathroom heater also comes under part P and has to be carried out in compliance with Bs 7671 and notified to building control,failure to comply is breaking the law. I would suggest you should use a qualified electrician for this.

Hi Crazy, no its not a joke:)

Thanks for your replies everyone, it does seem its not as straight forward as I thought! I thought that I could hardwire the heater into the shaver socket with some kind of in-line fuse box. I think I will get a sparky in!

For reference, the heater was - [h=1]Dimplex Fan Heater Wall Mounted IPX4 Rated with Runback Timer [/h]
Cheers guys!

Hi Crazy, no its not a joke:)

Thanks for your replies everyone, it does seem its not as straight forward as I thought! I thought that I could hardwire the heater into the shaver socket with some kind of in-line fuse box. I think I will get a sparky in!

For reference, the heater was - Dimplex Fan Heater Wall Mounted IPX4 Rated with Runback Timer

Cheers guys!

Aye, get sparky in! Without looking I'm still pretty sure that fan heater will be a 1/2kW heater (switch inside to choose between) - even on 1kW (which is only chosen on size of room) you will be most likely overloading the lighting circuit as wirepuller and others point out.

There will be a way, someone that does it all day everyday will be best bet.

Cheers

Spartykus

p.s. if you post roughly(!) where you are geographically, someone might offer to look ?

As Wirepuller says, a shaver socket is often fed from a 6A lighting circuit, so both the cabling and circuit protection would be unsuitable for the 2kW load you suggest.

A quick look at what gauge wire is present in the back box would be a good indication, as would seeing if the shaver socket is dead when the breaker feeding the room lighting is switched off.

But if there’s 2.5mm cable present, that would be good news, and worth investigating further.

BTW, are you sure you want one of these God-awful vintage-technology fan heaters? All they ever do (IMHO) is blow a lot of luke-warm air about, so unless left on for ages in advance add little to one’s comfort in the bathroom. I suggest you look at a quartz radiant heater instead (IP rated for bathrooms, and watch the zoning). INSTANT heat, no moving air and a pretty orange glow …

Last edited:

Reply to Bathroom Heater - wired into Shaving socket?.... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock