Discuss Bathroom LED downlights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

JamesL1892

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hello, I wish to purchase some Downlights to replace some halogen spotlights in my bathroom. Currently the existing spotlights are powered through a transformer connected to a terminal junction box in the loft. Looks like the existing transformer is connected by only a two core cable.

I want to replace the existing set up with these led lights LAP Fixed LED LED Downlight White 5W 370lm - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/lap-fixed-led-led-downlight-white-5w-370lm/3046v

Can I connect the existing two core cable from the terminal block to the first lED light and then daisy chain the other four lights with just 2 core cable?

The new lights are Ip65 rated and double insulated.

Also, what thickness cables should be used?

Lastly, the instructions for these new lights stipulate that there should be 50mm distance around of outside of units. However as can be seen from the existing spotlight position, some of these lights are close to the joists.

Would you recommend filling the existing holes and moving lights over?

The led will obvious be cooler than the existing lights

Pictures of existing set up attached.

Attachments

• 9053CF21-C8E7-4CF7-BCFC-32DDD1F10FA4.jpeg
    317.2 KB · Views: 19
  • CAC4AC81-C8DA-475D-8B3E-F64EBB083517.jpeg
    407 KB · Views: 18
  • A4D04AC2-9B78-4349-B69F-304BDA1D6E1D.jpeg
    643.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 34C60C03-0FD8-4C4A-87EB-9CB04D2BAEAE.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 15
  • AA750E58-1713-422E-B964-A0B0E0C51B38.jpeg
    595.9 KB · Views: 21
I think the “2 core” cable is actually grey twin and earth with the earth cut back.

Regulations stipulate there must be a continuous earth to each point in a circuit. The fittings should come with an earth terminal.

I think they’re far enough away from joists… the 50mm doesn’t mean 50 from insulation??

Regulations stipulate there must be a continuous earth to each point in a circuit. The fittings should come with an earth terminal.

I think they’re far enough away from joists… the 50mm doesn’t mean 50 from insulation??
Hey, thanks. the instructions state Class II product - Double Insulated - No earth required?

With this in mind, would these lights be connected by a 2 core cable?

You would still need an earth to every point, even if the fitting just now doesn’t need one, they may be replaced in the future for one that does.

Just quoting regulations…

Regulation 411.3.1.1 states: “a circuit protective conductor shall be run to and terminated at each point in wiring and at each accessory except a lampholder having no exposed-conductive-parts and suspended from such a point.”

You would still need an earth to every point, even if the fitting just now doesn’t need one, they may be replaced in the future for one that does.

Just quoting regulations…

Regulation 411.3.1.1 states: “a circuit protective conductor shall be run to and terminated at each point in wiring and at each accessory except a lampholder having no exposed-conductive-parts and suspended from such a point.”
What’s the solution with these lights then as they have no earth terminal or junction box?

We have this same conundrum every day where products are not designed for the regulations that are there.

I usually fit the other type of LAP downlights which has a connection box with L E N and a looped L if required, then a short 2 core flex to the fitting (100mm maybe)
The connection box is part of the fitting, so it’s ok.

We have this same conundrum every day where products are not designed for the regulations that are there.

I usually fit the other type of LAP downlights which has a connection box with L E N and a looped L if required, then a short 2 core flex to the fitting (100mm maybe)
The connection box is part of the fitting, so it’s ok.
Thank you

Each Downlight has to have an earth up to the junction box or a junction box, to maintain the circuit.
if the light is supposed to be 50mm away from a combustible surface they have to be 50mm away from a joist.
the lights in the picture are not! they require moving if you want to do a professional to the regs job.
sorry

Each Downlight has to have an earth up to the junction box or a junction box, to maintain the circuit.
if the light is supposed to be 50mm away from a combustible surface they have to be 50mm away from a joist.
the lights in the picture are not! they require moving if you want to do a professional to the regs job.
sorry
Thank you for your advice.

Could you also advise if this is a notifiable job?

Reply to Bathroom LED downlights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net