Discuss Bathroom light fiiting regulations in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just wanted to pick peoples brains I'm currently having some work done at my house and I've noticed that I currently in my bathroom I have a bayonet fitting that is connected via a very long cable light you would get in a front room, the light itself will just be above the edge of the bath.

I've had an electrician out and he has advised that it should be fine but I wasn't sure if this should be changed to an ipx4 type as this is what my mum and dad have in their bathroom and they then have a glass bowl that screws over the light.

I've attached a picture of the light fitting I currently have in my bathroom.

Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Bathroom light fiiting regulations 20190113_184701 - EletriciansForums.net

Check below link, good info there.
Zone 1 and 2 needs at least ipx4 zone 3 does not need it but I would still fit ipx4 fittings as you get lots of steam and condensation in bathroom.

What are Bathroom Zones? | IP Ratings Explained | Downlights.co.uk - https://www.downlights.co.uk/faq-bathroom-zones.html
zone 3 has not existed for several years. zone 1 agree with IPX4. zone 2 can be a lesser IP rating , but IPX4 is good practice. either way, the OP's current fitting does not comply as it's a pendant. condensed water vapour runs down flex into light .... bang.

zone 3 has not existed for several years. zone 1 agree with IPX4. zone 2 can be a lesser IP rating , but IPX4 is good practice. either way, the OP's current fitting does not comply as it's a pendant. condensed water vapour runs down flex into light .... bang.

Yes it's "outside zones" now.

I don't have a regs in hand but if I recall correctly section701 requires that electrical equipment in zones 1 and 2 shall have a degree of protection of at least IPX4.

I would certainly change it, and would change it to one with a suitable IP rating and also make it an LED version. Very small outlay and will be much more efficient and most likely last longer (assuming you get a decent one).

must be getting soft. that's 3 agrees with DPG in a week. :eek::D:p;)

nope i am TEL I not III.that would be my grandson, due to be popped out in a month or so.

Ah upper and lower case I and L confusion :)

Congrats on the imminent arrival!!

got a grand daughter 3 yrs. now son has managed to get the right XY in there.

Reply to Bathroom light fiiting regulations in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock