Discuss Bathroom light setup in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jimjamyaha

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks in advance for some extra eyes.... In our house the bathroom ceiling height has been reduced to fit in some spots.

We've recently moved in and during replacing the GU10s with LED bulbs discovered this state of affairs.

They've extended the feeds from the old ceiling rose and switch down and connected up the lights (originally 4x50w).

As other electrics in the house are shall we say a bit builder bodging and we know no certification was obtained for most work (we did have an EICR before moving in) interested to know what people think of the setup. My eyes are blinded as to what is reasonable and what is bodging.:grinning:

James

Bathroom light setup IMG_20190917_185159 - EletriciansForums.netBathroom light setup IMG_20190917_185035 - EletriciansForums.netBathroom light setup IMG_20190917_185041 - EletriciansForums.netBathroom light setup IMG_20190917_185214 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi,

Thanks in advance for some extra eyes.... In our house the bathroom ceiling height has been reduced to fit in some spots.

We've recently moved in and during replacing the GU10s with LED bulbs discovered this state of affairs.

They've extended the feeds from the old ceiling rose and switch down and connected up the lights (originally 4x50w).

As other electrics in the house are shall we say a bit builder bodging and we know no certification was obtained for most work (we did have an EICR before moving in) interested to know what people think of the setup. My eyes are blinded as to what is reasonable and what is bodging.:grinning:

James

View attachment 52262View attachment 52263View attachment 52264View attachment 52265
Bodge springs to mind Mate, no wonder there was no certs issued,

I also suspect there is no cpc (earth) as the connectors under the tape are not taking up as much room as I would expect.
although the light fittings may not require an earth, it should be continued all along the cable run and terminated at the end of run.

if your not confident in sorting this yourself, it would not be a big job for an electrician, I expect less than an hours work.
they will also whilst at it, give you a quick overview of anything else you have concerns about if you supply them with a smile and a hot cup of tea. (probably) ;)

Plastic not melted then yet on pvc board , remove and put in leds ,by the way when you said EICR before you moved in , how strange.mostley done after you moved in.i would love to see those test certs hey boys .
So to clarify think this was all installed 2005-7 sometime. We had EICR done before exchange. I've removed the halogen GU10s that were there and put LED replacement GU10s. So, not quite sure what you mean?
[automerge]1568746151[/automerge]
I also suspect there is no cpc (earth) as the connectors under the tape are not taking up as much room as I would expect.
although the light fittings may not require an earth, it should be continued all along the cable run and terminated at the end of run.

if your not confident in sorting this yourself, it would not be a big job for an electrician, I expect less than an hours work.
they will also whilst at it, give you a quick overview of anything else you have concerns about if you supply them with a smile and a hot cup of tea. (probably) ;)

Thanks. I'm hoping that earth is present at the old rose/switch (the rest of the lighting circuits do appear to have earth). Will be able to sort. Basically going to remove false ceiling, and then replace the old rose and switch back to add back in a central light. As this will be outside the zone 1 or 2 (no shower in bathroom) assume that as this is technically replacement it will not need part p? Please feel free to correct me :D

Replace the taped up connector blocks with a proper joint box would be first improvement
Thanks. Will probably remove and reinstate original setup - but that is good to know as a better way for things to have been done (I fear we have similar issues in a kitchen and a utility room).

As this was done in 2005-7ish would, from the pictures, you say that this is not up to regs then? Basically, I'm documenting what this known and still operating building company has done in order to raise it in relevant places and maybe help out others who have probably bodged work in place.

So any real specifics to call them out on would be ace.

Some times when halagons are fitted to pvc ceiling over time it melts and drops out .it shrinks the plasic.
Ah - I see. Luckily nope - although it is very brittle around the fixtures :D
[automerge]1568746556[/automerge]
Bodge springs to mind Mate, no wonder there was no certs issued,

As this was done in 2005-7ish would, from the pictures, you say that this is not up to regs then? Basically, I'm documenting what this known and still operating building company has done in order to raise it in relevant places and maybe help out others who have probably bodged work in place.

So any real specifics to call them out on would be ace.

Thanks. Will probably remove and reinstate original setup - but that is good to know as a better way for things to have been done (I fear we have similar issues in a kitchen and a utility room).

If you are going to post anything than can be quoted back to you, ensure that you have an expert to verify what you are posting is true.

i.e. if you post online that company ABC has done a bad and dangerous electrical installation. you may need to defend yourself in court accused of slander.
ensure you have proof that they did it, an installation certificate would be good for that.
ensure what you say is technically correct. an electrician registered with a domestic installer scheme should be able to provide you with proof of any faults or non compliance with the regs.
p.s. part p started in 2005 so if it was before then, there is less to go on.
[automerge]1568746986[/automerge]
you know the thingey begining with the letter h, lol.

ahh, sorry you mean the wotsit thing-a-ma-bob,
fully understand now.

If you are going to post anything than can be quoted back to you, ensure that you have an expert to verify what you are posting is true.

i.e. if you post online that company ABC has done a bad and dangerous electrical installation. you may need to defend yourself in court accused of slander.
ensure you have proof that they did it, an installation certificate would be good for that.
ensure what you say is technically correct. an electrician registered with a domestic installer scheme should be able to provide you with proof of any faults or non compliance with the regs.
p.s. part p started in 2005 so if it was before then, there is less to go on.
Thanks - Salient advice. I will certainly not be posting any names of businesses here :D. Luckily, through the conveyancing process we have legal confirmation of who has done the work and through an EICR evidence of what has not been complied with. Will be taking it up privately with the company first, in the future :D I'm just interested delving deeper into what has been done, so any professional opinions before I start rectifying or, as appropriate, getting a qualified professional to :D

Reply to Bathroom light setup in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock