Discuss Bathroom light voltage dropped in voltage? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I thought my light died in the groundfloor bathroom. New bulb didn't work so thought the fitting was dead.
I decided to take the opportunity to replace with an LED light but that won't work.
I had a pull switch, 240v bc light fitting and extractor fan.

The voltage across the switch live and neutral measures just 7.6 volts?
The switch measures 18.7 volts and the fan 3.4v?

I'm confused. What happened to my 230/240v feed?
Other lights on the ring are fine. All i did was take the new light and swap the cable like-for-like, switched live, neutral and earth? But whatever went wrong, went wrong before I changed the fitting.

There are 3 1.5mm cables at the rose, one from the ring, one to the switch and the other must be to the fan.
Any ideas gratefully accepted!

needs asn investigation.could be a broken wire or loose connection, either on the L or the N.

The lighting circuit is a radial, not a ring, but if this light was the first then there would be a L in and L out (to next fitting), and N in and N out similarly, which there is not. So it looks to be the last light on the circuit.

Hence you might check the preceding light (electrically) on the circuit.

Also, why is there an E on its' own, not connected to the other earths?

To add to westward's comment below, I assume you stripped off 10mm (correction 12 to 13mm) insulation of each conductor before pushing it into the Wago?

Last edited:
Also are you certain you have all cables pushed fully home in the Wagos ? The stripped bare copper should be about 13mm.
[automerge]1577212698[/automerge]
Why is there 3 switched lines?...what else is on that circuit?

I think there's the red sleeved black from the switch, the yellow to the [timer] fan and the red is to the actual light that the OP is trying to get working.
[automerge]1577212811[/automerge]
This auto post merging doesn't make any sense at times !

Thanks for all the replies.
There doesn't appear to be a loop out so I'm guessing that it's the last one on the circuit.
I assumed it would be the first as it's a few feet from the consumer unit.

Anyway, I've checked the loop in and traced it back to the kitchen lights and checked those.
It appears that a Neutral wire had come loose on a kitchen light and once corrected all is well.
Thanks for the help all.

Blwyden Newydd Dda as they say in Wales!

Reply to Bathroom light voltage dropped in voltage? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net