Discuss Bathroom Light wiring help in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Basically I am trying to wire a new light into a bathroom.
The old one was removed and the wires were left connected in connector blocks. All lives together, all naturals together, all earths together, and then the black (neutral) from switch and a yellow from a 4 core cable were together. Please can anyone tell me how I connect this properly. Is the black from the switch acting as a live? I'm really confused thanks.
Perry

It sounds like the black is a switchwire and should have some tape or sleeving on it to distinguish it as NOT a neutral.
The yellow also is a switch wire going to an extract fan.

You should take photos or draw a diagram when you take the old fitting down so you know how it goes back.

Disclaimer:
This is how I see it. I could be wrong.

Sorry I had no before pic as they were already taped up together when i moved in.
Basically from the switch I have just the live and neutral(possible acting as a live switch wire) then I have 3 standard cables coming from other lights in other rooms and then one cable with live neaurural and a yellow cable(possibly extractor fan switch wire)

What I said above is probably correct, but without seeing it, it is guesswork.
We’re really not meant to hand out step by step instructions just in case your house burns down next week or you get a shock, fall off your ladder and break your self on the toilet pan.

So, with that in mind, I would advise you ask a friendly local electrician to pop in and give you a hand.
Should cost no more than a 4 pack of stella

Hi Perry and Welcome to the Forum.
Do you have any test gear? Please remember that some of those conductors are live.

Basically I am trying to wire a new light into a bathroom.
The old one was removed and the wires were left connected in connector blocks. All lives together, all naturals together, all earths together, and then the black (neutral) from switch and a yellow from a 4 core cable were together. Please can anyone tell me how I connect this properly. Is the black from the switch acting as a live? I'm really confused thanks.
Perry
yes it should be marked with red and so should the yellow wire, the 4 core wire will be running a fan

Reply to Bathroom Light wiring help in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock