Discuss Bathroom lighting problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

lepoidm

Active EF Member
Hi all,

After some sugestions and help please.

The client want a down light in their shower cubical where there is no lighting and 3 walls are tiled, not a problem I hear you all cry.

Here is the problem,

The height of the ceiling is 2200mm therefore making it zone 1. And the roof construction is a flat roof. The clearance between plasterboard and roof is a little over 125mm. I haven't been able to find a recessed down light that can fit in this space... Nor will I...

So does any one know of any lights that can be surfaced mounted with the required IP rating of IPx5? Ideally spots a bit like the surface mounted ones under cupboards in kitchens.

Have thought about a wall light, but simular issue. 2 walls are stud and 1is external wall.

Thanks for you help

OP
L

lepoidm

Active EF Member
Thanks Ruston, the problem is that will only have 25 mm clearance from the back of the fitting to the roof. Most manufactures fittings just won't meet the required clearance

OP
L

lepoidm

Active EF Member
Yeah they will fit but normally they specify 50 mm or so clearance from the top of the fitting, this would fit it the void but only have 19mm clearance for the timber of the flat roof. Cracking light though.... Liking them

Amp David

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Looking at the manual for the JCC you can lat loft insulation over them so can't see an air gap of 19mm being an issue.

Strima

Electrician's Arms
If they're solely LED then there should be no problems with thermal stuff etc. I like them JCC lights.

OP
L

lepoidm

Active EF Member
Interesting..... Shame about the price..... Ok for shower, shame they aren't bit cheaper....I'd use them as standard......look brilliant.

Amp David

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Its for one fitting isn't it.

Surely for the one, when nothing else will do, its a no brainer, surely

OP
L

lepoidm

Active EF Member
Yup! Defo no brainier for one unit..... But not for house that want 15 to 20. People just won't understand the difference between thoses and the cheap £3 crap from Screwfix etc

OP
L

lepoidm

Active EF Member
Just use a surface-mounted IP55+ rated bulkhead. There are a few about which aren't too ugly :)
Lol.. Cheers for the reply..... But I ain't seen one that I,d fit without walking away embarrassed after fitting it. Lol

needasparks

Electrician's Arms
Thought about led strip lighting ?
Possibly round the edge of ceiling would give a wall wash. Quite a few are ip rated and encapsulated so almost submersible. I used some in a hairdressers round the sink areas and worked a treat. The ip ones are not cheap though but it would tick the boxes without too much agro fitting.

OP
L

lepoidm

Active EF Member
Thought about led strip lighting ?
Possibly round the edge of ceiling would give a wall wash. Quite a few are ip rated and encapsulated so almost submersible. I used some in a hairdressers round the sink areas and worked a treat. The ip ones are not cheap though but it would tick the boxes without too much agro fitting.
You know what, I have never used them yet. No one asked for them yet. Where do you get yours from in the past please?

OP
L

lepoidm

Active EF Member
Yeah good thought too. My Bathroom light is this one, it's 6 year old now and just starting to show signs of slight corrosion. Good website for any others reading these posts.
[h=1]Firstlight 2740CH Rondo Chrome Bathroom Ceiling Light[/h]

needasparks

Electrician's Arms
You know what, I have never used them yet. No one asked for them yet. Where do you get yours from in the past please?
The ones i used were these as were the brightest on the market at the time,
Aurora - Category List - 'passionate about lighting'
but theres loads out there. these were ip68 so just the ticket. you will have to place the driver somewhere but that has to be easier.

Amp David

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Yup! Defo no brainier for one unit..... But not for house that want 15 to 20. People just won't understand the difference between thoses and the cheap £3 crap from Screwfix etc
We're not talking about 15 - 20 in this post though:innocent:

OP
L

lepoidm

Active EF Member

Paulgwat

Regular EF Member
Not sure on how much light you are looking for but you might want to have a look at 12v downlighters aimed at boating applications - marine grade stainless and usually waterproof but may be on the pricey side if you need multiple units to get sufficient light level.

Some of the led units on the market are only 20mm deep and are designed to not have airflow around them as they are tight fit in the boats headlining.

Paul

OP
L

lepoidm

Active EF Member
Not sure on how much light you are looking for but you might want to have a look at 12v downlighters aimed at boating applications - marine grade stainless and usually waterproof but may be on the pricey side if you need multiple units to get sufficient light level.

Some of the led units on the market are only 20mm deep and are designed to not have airflow around them as they are tight fit in the boats headlining.

Paul
20mm! Blooming heck.... Another quality idea. I'm really chuffed with all the replies/ideas from everyone.

Guitarist

Regular EF Member
20mm! Blooming heck.... Another quality idea. I'm really chuffed with all the replies/ideas from everyone.
Maybe you can tell the obnoxious posters who accuse us of being horrid that we're not that bad, when the questions are asked with courtesy and respect. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 64 66.0%
  • Black

Votes: 33 34.0%

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.