Discuss Bathroom Lighting questions in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

Ian

Hi Guys,

New to the forum just looking for some advice on bathroom lighting issues.

I searched and discovered i'm using this https://www.lightingstyles.co.uk/uploaded/25821.pdf
GU5.3, (MR16 i think)

I have checked my lights from 2 bathrooms, in the first bathroom, 1/4 are working and in the other 1/6 is working. I checked with my two good bulbs and it appears the wiring is not working. Does that mean my transformers have an issue? there is also a humming sound that is on even when the lights are off is that something to be worried about?

If I want to switch them to GU10, does it mean i don't need a transformer and should remove the transformer?

Thanks
Ian

switch the lamps to GU10 LEDs. you'll need to change the lamp holder as well. ditch the transformers.

Hi Thanks for the reply,

just to check what do i actually need to change? just the wires and the gu10 socket? i can still use the lighting holder as it is still perfectly useable and ip65.

As in I just remove the transformer and install the gu10 socket? or do i need something else?

thanks
ian

Sorry to say this, but I read in a Sunday paper, that this is the worst weekend for DIY enthusiasts to carry out new projects at home, where some mistakes cost upwards to £3000 to put right. Apparently 34% of homeowners will tackle electrics.

OP, employ an electrician, and you can cut the grass, or do some painting or something :)

Sorry for all the questions, but just to check I just need something like this
GU10 Lamp holder Connector Earth Wire LED Compatible - http://www.leds4less.co.uk/gu10-lamp-holder--connector-earth-wire--led-compatible-222-p.asp
to connect to my main leads?

Also if the light switch is set to "off" would that be good enough to make the changes or should also trip the fuse box "just in case"

thanks

Isolate the circuit, lock it off and test it to confirm isolation with a suitable voltage tester. Do not take any chances with electricity as it takes only a fraction of a second for it to kill an adult human.

First you need to check with a suitable voltage tester that the power is turned off do not assume it turned off just because you have turned a switch off or even turned your fuse board off .
It also depends how the existing lights are connected, if you can just change the lamp holders. (There may be no earth connection)
And i may be wrong but i think you have to part p registered to replace light fitting in a bathroom

Finished a job last where I added a new pendant fitting to an existing one on the landing, amongst other things for a customer. He said he would buy a new luminaires and fit himself to the pendant points.

A week later, he rang to say he couldn't work out how to connect his new luminaire to the existing pendant. Got there myself a week later, to see he had pulled apart the ceiling rose to leave all the inner metal connectors exposed and still live, and hanging down within hands reach!

hmm maybe I should just get someone in.. i have to change one of the extractor fans as well... was thinking of trying out DIY

how much would be a reasonable cost be per light / fan for labour (assuming i purchase the light fitting and fan myself)

hmm maybe I should just get someone in.. i have to change one of the extractor fans as well... was thinking of trying out DIY

how much would be a reasonable cost be per light / fan for labour (assuming i purchase the light fitting and fan myself)
whereabouts are you?

Reply to Bathroom Lighting questions in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net