Discuss Bathroom lights stopped working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

fixit4u

Hi folks,
i have just called at my sisters as her bathroom low-voltage down-lights have stopped working, she has 6 down lights in total 3 work and 3 have stopped working, i have placed my volt stick on the lights and they all have power present to them and have tried new lamos in each one but they still do not come on with the other three? Any ideas where to start looking next ? I have had a quick look at the 2 transformers and each seems to have power coming from them.
Any advice appreciated-thanx.

if the 3 non workers are supplied from the same transformer., there's your answer. or there's a possibility of 3 burnt connections on 3 lamp holders.

Last edited:
Hi folks,
i have just called at my sisters as her bathroom low-voltage down-lights have stopped working, she has 6 down lights in total 3 work and 3 have stopped working, i have placed my volt stick on the lights and they all have power present to them and have tried new lamos in each one but they still do not come on with the other three? Any ideas where to start looking next ? I have had a quick look at the 2 transformers and each seems to have power coming from them.

What Voltstick do you use that lights up on 12v ?

one that picks up induced voltage. take your pick. ( or your stick )

hi, the volt stick is a megger, is the fault the supply transformer even tho the lights are showing power to them ? i took the lamps out and placed the stick on the wiring and it shown power? can it still do this if the transformer needs replacing ? the 3 down lights are all from the same transformer.

cheers.

the 3 lights are all on the same transformer but the supply to each shows live with the stick as does the cable from the transformer but can it do this even tho the transformer is the problem ?
ccheers

hi, the volt stick is a megger, is the fault the supply transformer even tho the lights are showing power to them ? i took the lamps out and placed the stick on the wiring and it shown power? can it still do this if the transformer needs replacing ? the 3 down lights are all from the same transformer.

cheers.

Do you mean a Voltstick non contact tester or a 2 Pole tester ? If it's a non contact tester then it won't pick up the 12v output & as tel said it's just picking up induced a/c from adjacent mains wiring. Also if it's a Voltstick this only shows that you have a live feed & does'nt prove that the Neutral is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't trust your volt stick!!! I have done the same and they can really throw you off track as they sometimes pick up a source from somewhere else. Check that someone hasnt bodged the lights by just using one transformer when it should be one per light as well...

Hi folks,
I came across a similar situation recently and the stick indicated power on the circuit but the lights didn't work. Realised there was no return path, replaced the transformer and the circuit came to life. Give it a go, replace the transformer. Best of luck!

my sister has been in the house for 10yrs and has only replaced the odd lamp when needed, there is 3 lamps from one transformer 65w and the other transformer is 60w rated feeds the other 3 lamps, only 3 light up from one of the transformers the others have stopped working but holding a voltage detector on each feed comes live when the switch is turned on so thought the transformers were ok, we don,t have much cash so didn,t want to start replacing transformers etc untill know what the problem is, was thinking of trying the transformer first but this is around £16-£18 .

we had a scenario like this a while back....but in this case the thermal cutout within the tranny was constantly bringing the lamps off....then in a while back on they came.....turned out the origional installers had joint boxed a load of lamps off just 2 trannys..........

Your Voltstick Non contact tester can't tell you if you've got an outut from the Transformer only A multimeter or 2 pole tester will do this. If you can get at both transformers easily. you could try swapping them to prove the transformer is faulty.

we had a scenario like this a while back....but in this case the thermal cutout within the tranny was constantly bringing the lamps off....then in a while back on they came.....turned out the origional installers had joint boxed a load of lamps off just 2 trannys..........

Some of em just ain't got a clue mate have they lol.

Can you not take a voltage reading on the load side of the trannie at the terminals of each light fitting ? Also agree looks like you have lost the neutral return on leg . depending how they have been wired via jb,s or wago,s if straight into light fitting they are normaly quite tight for termination if daisy chaining and quite often will come out especilly as you say some lamps have been changed recenctley i would be looking at that area 1st

Last edited:
Some of em just ain't got a clue mate have they lol.
thing is though is we found it quite funny as the lady was explaining to us that they had a downstairs loo where the lighting was also of this arrangement....she said that she daredn`t spend long in there as all of a sudden the lights would go out............

Reply to Bathroom lights stopped working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock