Discuss bathroom mains voltage downlights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Daveyboy

Hi, guys in a bathroom would fitting ip44 downlights be acceptable above a bath? I know the zoning is acceptable but would moisture affect them?

depends how high above the bath!!!

Some ceilings make the light fitment area outside zones so in that respect you're usually laughing ..... but there's always common sense as well.

Compared to some lights IP44 is pretty good. How high is the ceiling / whats the depth of the fitting, does it enter ....a zone!

outside of the zones as its over 2.25m but i'm curious as to what over people fit as especially if they are over a bath with a shower attatchment where the customer may accidently spray the lights.

Hi Mate as you can see from the table below IP 68 would be the best , but it would cost,
DigitProtection from solid objects2nd DigitProtection from moisture
0No protection0No protection
1Protection against solid objects with diameter greater than 50mm1Protection from dripping water
2Protection against solid objects with diameter greater then 12mm2Protection from dripping water when tilted upto 15 degrees
3Protection against solid objects with diameter greater than 2.5mm3Protection from spraying water (rain)
4Protection against solid objects with diameter greater than 1mm4Protection from splashing water
5Dust protected5Protection from water jets
6Dust tight6Protection from heavy seas
7Protection from immersion in water
8Protection from continuous submersion in water

hope this helps

dis-regarding the regs i always fit IP65 or higher, the surface temperature of the quartz glass on the filament lamps can be extremely high and if accidently splashed with water can fracture or explode due to thermal shock even a ceiling over 2.25m is easily reached if you drop a hand held shower head, this is an area i believe the regs are not tight enough on.

One thing to bear in mind is that sometimes downlighters of different IP ratings may have come from different manufacturers. I've seen a higher rated downlighter in a walk in shower that has aged at a completely different rate to others in the room. It's bright white; the others are beginning to darken, just 1 year after install. Best to get all the same manufacturer if you can and preferably from the same range. At least then you could take it back within guarantee and attempt to get a replacement if client isn't happy.

Reply to bathroom mains voltage downlights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net