Discuss Bathroom refit, do I need a RCD? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm refitting my bathroom in my first floor flat (top floor) built around 1989. It has 2 CUs, one for night storage and one for 24h electrics, they are of the 1980's era Crabtree, the label on the side says BS5486:pART 13 CM16.

The hot and cold are run in plastic from the Immersion heater located outside the bathroom.
The mains water is supplied to the flat in plastic and then copper to the kitchen sink and toilet, this is "bonded" to the CU earth terminal.

Items with potential in the room :
The toilet has a short piece of copper pipe in the Outside Zone to the cistern.
There is a fan isolation switch in the Outside Zone (the fan unit is in the loft).
There is a shaver socket in the Outside Zone (isolation transformer type).

The ceiling is 2.45m high and therefore in the Outside Zone I believe.
I would like to fit fire rated IP65 downlights to the existing lighting circuit (which also has the fan and shaver socket on it).
So in short, there will be nothing with any potential in Zones 0,1 or 2. and there will be no new circuits.

Am I right in thinking that changing a central light to 4 downlights is not classed as a new circuit?.

I know a RCD is desirable but is it strictly necessary in this instance?

The flat will need to pass a EICR but I realy don't need the expense of changing the CUs as I'm on a budget.

Cheers,
John

Thanks Westward,
I feared as much, that's why I went into such detail to make sure. I'm not an electrician and don't know the current regs, only what I've gleaned.

What are my options?
RCBO?
Surface mount RCD?
New CU?
Anything else?

If I go with a new CU, does this mean I will need to replace both CU's? Each has its own feed from the meter, the storage heat times are controlled by SSE "teleswitch" and the meter switches on the extra live out when commanded.
Cheers

I don’t think so, here are some photos

Attachments

• Bathroom refit, do I need a RCD? B9760AAB-6FD2-4E50-89EE-F8D8FBC79B9A - EletriciansForums.net
    B9760AAB-6FD2-4E50-89EE-F8D8FBC79B9A.jpeg
    478.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Bathroom refit, do I need a RCD? 61875194-619E-4874-B0B5-B56DF802B2E5 - EletriciansForums.net
    61875194-619E-4874-B0B5-B56DF802B2E5.jpeg
    454.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Bathroom refit, do I need a RCD? 4DA877A5-C801-4CE9-BA9C-26684B9824DB - EletriciansForums.net
    4DA877A5-C801-4CE9-BA9C-26684B9824DB.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 34
No they are SB6000. They did make rcbos for them but were two module and would now be second hand. Finding one for a 6 or 10A lighting circuit is likely to be difficult. It is likely they never existed.

Thanks.
so the RCBO route is out really.
If I were to just replace the central light with a new modern one, would that also need an RCD?
And a difficult question to answer, but I won’t hold you to it, if nothing changes, is the Flat likely to fail a EICR on the Consumer Units alone I.e. age and lack of ECB, assuming everything else in the flat is ok?

Are you going to be renting this flat out to tennants?

And a difficult question to answer, but I won’t hold you to it, if nothing changes, is the Flat likely to fail a EICR on the Consumer Units alone I.e. age and lack of ECB, assuming everything else in the flat is ok?
Do you know if there is supplementary bonding in the bathroom? If there isn't it would be much easier to change the CU than to add it.
Assuming it does have the supplementary bonding, and noting it is a a top floor so no sockets are likely to be used outside, it wouldn't have automatic C2's fail for lack of RCD protection according to BPG4. This assumes the installation tests as fault-free in every other regard.

No one should be entertaining a rental property without RCD protection these days though, it's just common sense that you want tenants to have a level of safety that is now commonplace among dwellings.

Hi Tim, thanks for your answer.
I accept that RCDs should be fitted for rentals and that is something to consider.
Re the sup. bonding. The pipes are all plastic (save the toilet) so there is nothing to bond. There is a bit more detail on that in my first post.
So given the plastic pipes and if the Flat passes all tests, there is no obvious reason why the current CUs should cause a fail assuming they are in good order?
How would a tester go about checking the plastic pipes?

I'd be very wary of renting it out with no RCD protection anywhere.
Yes, understood. I have been told I need an EICR by the management company. I’m starting to think that they have this wrong as I’m the owner and it’s not going to be rented in the near future anyway.
As it’s just me, I’m happy without any RCDs especially due to the cost ( I’m guessing hundreds of £s) but I’m worried that when I get it inspected it will fail. Now I’m questioning if I need to get it inspected at all?

Another thought.

In a building such as yours, each flat is its own fire compartment. This means that surfaces like ceilings are specified and installed as fire barriers.
Turning a fire barrier into something resembling swiss cheese to fit a few downlights need special consideration.

You must, must fit fire-rated downlights so that, should a fire start in your fire-compartment, that it cannot spread quickly, through your downlight holes and into the roof of the building.

Another thought.

In a building such as yours, each flat is its own fire compartment. This means that surfaces like ceilings are specified and installed as fire barriers.
Turning a fire barrier into something resembling swiss cheese to fit a few downlights need special consideration.

You must, must fit fire-rated downlights so that, should a fire start in your fire-compartment, that it cannot spread quickly, through your downlight holes and into the roof of the building.
A good thought, the downlights I was thinking of are 60 minutes rated (which exceeds that of the current single layer of 12mm plasterboard) IP65 rated and Insulation Contact rated. The loft space is compartmentalised from the other flats. It is a 2 story building with 6 flats.

A good thought, the downlights I was thinking of are 60 minutes rated (which exceeds that of the current single layer of 12mm plasterboard) IP65 rated and Insulation Contact rated. The loft space is compartmentalised from the other flats. It is a 2 story building with 6 flats.
A single layer of standard Gypsum plasterboard has no specific fire-resistance.
Your ceiling is probably one of the Fireline products - these are 15mm and covered with pink, not brown paper.

A single layer of standard Gypsum plasterboard has no specific fire-resistance.
Your ceiling is probably one of the Fireline products - these are 15mm and covered with pink, not brown paper.
I hope you’re right. It looks like standard board though and I’ve been around a lot of plaster board. Anyway, I probably won’t fit downlights now. Can’t afford for it to fail the EICR tests at the moment.

Do you know if there is supplementary bonding in the bathroom? If there isn't it would be much easier to change the CU than to add it.
Assuming it does have the supplementary bonding, and noting it is a a top floor so no sockets are likely to be used outside, it wouldn't have automatic C2's fail for lack of RCD protection according to BPG4. This assumes the installation tests as fault-free in every other regard.

No one should be entertaining a rental property without RCD protection these days though, it's just common sense that you want tenants to have a level of safety that is now commonplace among dwellings.
Hi again Tim, when I get it tested, how does the tester assess the supplementary bonding? If it is by inspection should I remove the bath panel so that they can see the pipes?

Yes, understood. I have been told I need an EICR by the management company. I’m starting to think that they have this wrong as I’m the owner and it’s not going to be rented in the near future anyway.
As it’s just me, I’m happy without any RCDs especially due to the cost ( I’m guessing hundreds of £s) but I’m worried that when I get it inspected it will fail. Now I’m questioning if I need to get it inspected at all?
So I have now read that a domestic dwelling should have a EICR every 10 years and if rented every 5 years

Reply to Bathroom refit, do I need a RCD? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock