Discuss Bathroom socket in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

martysparky

Was at a domestic went in bathroom and noticed a washing machine.

Fine.
More than 3m from bath
more than 500mm from sink
socket enclosed behind machine

next= blue cable

Turns out the guy had wired an extension lead from the kitchen socket (plug top) via the ceiling down to the socket and into a 2gang.

Yes, the board is RCD protected

Any opinions on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it plugged in? I mean is the plug on the end of the extension lead or has he removed the plug and wired it as a spur. Either way its not ideal, but if he's plugged it in it's not in your remit mate. If he's wired it as a spur.... I dunno do you call that fixed wiring or not?

Its a bit rough, but if its RCD protected, the cable is secure and suitable size, and the socket is fixed in the appropriate zone then i suppose its compliant, but i would code it on a PIR, requires improvement.

I suppose the biggest question is not whether its compliant but is it safe?

Yes its plugged in...with a 2-gang surface mounted on other end.

My thought is this:
Iif it was not plugged and thus a spur it would be fixed wiring, its clipped direct.
Then, of course, no voltage drop calcs.The cable must be 15 meters.

As it stands though its double standards. Half extension lead / half fixed wiring.

I think it OK and safe.

The only question: is the machine compliant? However its not a big machine.

I've seen people adopt this method with outside lights too.

They think they are confident enough to wire the lights but not confident to touch inside a socket.

I see stuff like this all the time. I wouldnt call it fixed wiring as it's not part of the main installation, just a homemade extension lead. Whenever I see this kind of thing I have it unplugged as an appliance would be on testing. I inform the customer that it is not part of the test and give them a good price for putting it in properly. Usually i do a quick r1r2 continuity just in case by connecting r1r2 at the socket end (without opening the patress) and measuring from the plug end. I don't record this anywhere but it's worth doing, lets be honest if its home made it aint likely to be 100%. Mind you, the people who wont pay the low price to have it done are the same people who will call you a liar when you say theres something wrong with their bodged extension lead.....

Yes true enough. I didn't go into it too much with them.

Didn't do R1 R2 either. I will consider that future though. good point.

But wouldn't it be, more likely, to have I/R concerns with botch it it'll be OK DIY?

Reg:521.9.3

What would you say about the relevant provisions of the regs and meeting them?

Yea probably but I ain't wasting my time on it! I'm interested in the safety implications of not having a CPC, but if we are having IR issues in a properly insulated patress, what's going to happen is Mr Miser is going to have to give me more money in the future for a breaker that keeps tripping :D. And he STILL won't pay to get the spur done properly!!!

The current regs? They wouldn't even enter into my head to be honest - theres no way I would class it as part of the installation, and I havent supplied it so I'm not bothered. Same as I wouldnt be bothered about his coiled 40m extensionlead in his shed that has a nail instead of a fuse. He wants to bodge things that's his perogative; I'll advise him and if he doesnt want to take that advice.... well on his head be it.

True, tell him to unplug it and leave it unplugged when you leave.

If he plugs it back in and burns his bath curtain then more fool him. Its not wired in to anything. So as above wont even come into the regs, you cant force him to take it off his wall :)

Reply to Bathroom socket in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net