Discuss Bathroom zones. Whats your thoughts? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
I was asked to replace a bathroom fan for a client in a fairly recent build. (approx. 3 year old)
The fan is situated directly above a shower cubical with a fixed shower head.
The fan is bog standard 230v mains voltage, 100mm diameter with run-on timer, 3 pole isolator outside the bathroom door.
Regulations concerning bathroom zones. The fan is located above the 2.25m vertical height of zone 1, so is a 230v fan valid in this instance?
Should I try to encourage the customer to go with a 12v version, I cant say its against regs if her builder put the 230v one in only 3 years ago.
I haven't looked at the C.U yet, so don't know if the fan is RCD protected. I assume it is, but if its not, ill change the breaker to an RCBO.

I was asked to replace a bathroom fan for a client in a fairly recent build. (approx. 3 year old)
The fan is situated directly above a shower cubical with a fixed shower head.
The fan is bog standard 230v mains voltage, 100mm diameter with run-on timer, 3 pole isolator outside the bathroom door.
Regulations concerning bathroom zones. The fan is located above the 2.25m vertical height of zone 1, so is a 230v fan valid in this instance?
Should I try to encourage the customer to go with a 12v version, I cant say its against regs if her builder put the 230v one in only 3 years ago.
I haven't looked at the C.U yet, so don't know if the fan is RCD protected. I assume it is, but if its not, ill change the breaker to an RCBO.
If the fan is above zone just change it like for like, if the house was only built 3 years ago and doesn't have RCD protection, the Builder, electrician, developer who ever want's a brain transplant, and a good verbal beasting.

I think i'll just swap like for like. The part of the house where this is is an extension built 3 years ago, onto an existing house which I would think is less than 10 years old.
I presume theres RCD protection, but i'll see.

I think i'll just swap like for like. The part of the house where this is is an extension built 3 years ago, onto an existing house which I would think is less than 10 years old.
I presume theres RCD protection, but i'll see.
Just read your last post, are you now saying the extension was built within 3 years, if that is the case then you may not have RCD protection, still a fault of the builder and his electrician if there is no RCD protection, please let us know for definite.

The house I believe is a barn conversion which was done around 10 years ago. The customer said herself the extension was 3 years old.
I agree, a fan shouldn't have gone in such a short time, but ill do a little investigation of the cables while I'm there. A quick peek behind the switch and 3 pole isolator didn't find any loose terminations.

Reply to Bathroom zones. Whats your thoughts? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net