Discuss Bathroom zones with a ceiling shower head in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

IanHug

If I fit a fixed shower head flush with the ceiling, like this one:

27271000.gif

Would that make Zone 1 include the ceiling, the walls up to the ceiling or would zone 1 still finish at 2.25m? Ceiling height is 2.4m. Wondering whether I will need zone 1 lighting & vents in the ceiling.

If I fit a fixed shower head flush with the ceiling, like this one:

View attachment 16762

Would that make Zone 1 include the ceiling, the walls up to the ceiling or would zone 1 still finish at 2.25m? Ceiling height is 2.4m. Wondering whether I will need zone 1 lighting & vents in the ceiling.

I'd recommend IP rated lights what ever the height. You don't want exploded bulb glass on the floor in the bathroom.

Likely to fit a downlighter and a combined lamp/vent. Downlighter I have is IP65 but the lamp/vent I had in mind is rated for Zone 2 & outside.

Lamp in the lamp/vent is 12V LED and the fan is 240v but would be sited away in the loft.

Likely to fit a downlighter and a combined lamp/vent. Downlighter I have is IP65 but the lamp/vent I had in mind is rated for Zone 2 & outside.

Lamp in the lamp/vent is 12V LED and the fan is 240v but would be sited away in the loft.

RCD protection, bonding, LABC?

All circuits in the house on RCDs. This work will be done after 6th April so answer could impact of whether it is notifiable as well.

Zoning is defined from model set-ups and standard showers fitted in bathrooms .. if your shower head violates the zone 2 area that is normally defined as 2.25m then it goes without saying it can no longer be looked at as a zone 2 and must be treated as zone 1.

This goes for all fitting thus falling into this area will need to be zone 1 compliant.

Understand that the walls would become zone 1 but what about the ceiling? I'm thinking that the ceiling would remain okay for normal shower rated fittings as water from the fixed shower head can't splash upwards. Have I missed a reg that would make it Zone 1?

Common sense would say with it been a fixed jets down that the ceiling can be in itself treated as zone 2 and either way shower rated fitting are rated for shower environments anyway, id only be cautious of suface mount fitting that state zone 2 as the bottom of these fitting would fall into zone 1.. again its a judgement call as you are trying to extend the reg's for a set-up not defined and IMHO i would be fitted recess shower rated lighting in this situe.

This thread has be started by somebody who has been reading the updated version of Part P

It has.

Special locations for work starting from 6th April being shower head down if it's over 2.25m high.

Guess I could make sure everything is recessed so that nothing is lower than the shower head.

It has.

Special locations for work starting from 6th April being shower head down if it's over 2.25m high.

Guess I could make sure everything is recessed so that nothing is lower than the shower head.

First line - not sure this makes sense

Second line - ????

Are you a sparky, builder or DIYer?

The new definitions of special locations for building control purposes are being trimmed back. In bathrooms only work in a defined zone needs to be be notified - http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_P_2013.pdf Page 6.

If anything below the shower head is notifiable then recessing the electrical fittings so that they don't project under the shower head would seem to put them out of the special zone.

I'm a DIY'er working on my own house but I do the work because I like doing it not because I have to and I like to do it properly.

To be honest, I wouldn't be trying to find a way round what's right and what isn't, Part p or not, it's common sense that water CAN splash upwards when there's someone in the shower so look at IP rated lighting and extraction, IMO that's all there is to it.

And here starteth the influx of reg bending based on changes to part pee. Wonder when the first belt in a bathroom will be reported?

To be honest, I wouldn't be trying to find a way round what's right and what isn't, Part p or not, it's common sense that water CAN splash upwards when there's someone in the shower so look at IP rated lighting and extraction, IMO that's all there is to it.

And here starteth the influx of reg bending based on changes to part pee. Wonder when the first belt in a bathroom will be reported?

It's a question of which IP rating though. Common sense says that in these circumstances having a flush ceiling fitting isn't any different from having one 10mm below ceiling height so same fittings will be okay but common sense and regulations don't always go together and maybe I've missed something in my common sense reasoning.

Some fixed current-using equipment including ventilation and luminaires is allowed in zone 1 but must be IPX4, IPX5 if exposed to water jets.
No restriction in zone 2 but must be suitable for the environment - see manufacturers' instructions.

This work will still be notifiable after the changes.

Am I reading it wrong then?

I'm reading notifiable as:
- Installation of a new circuit
- replacement CU
- Work in a special location - redefined as effectively bathroom Zone 1
- Swimming pools

So no kitchens, outside sockets or bathrooms in Zone 2 & outside

Reply to Bathroom zones with a ceiling shower head in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net