Discuss Battery Charging Room in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Strima

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
OK, we have yet another project on the horizon but this one involves battery charging.

We do a fair bit of battery work already with large battery UPS systems but we will have a requirement for charging batteries up before sending them to site for installation.

I used to work in battery bays years ago but this was well before we had silly things like ventilation, PPE, safety etc.

Does anyone on here do any form of work involving battery charging and what the requirements are for running a battery charging area, i.e. ventilation, explosive gases, training, etc etc???

The type of battery is critical to your assessment of the risks.

A bank of wet cells presents a different set of issues,to a shop full of charging computers.

Sealed AGM batteries - no ventilation required but charging rates are kept low to avoid damage to the cells.

Wet cells produce hydrogen gas, the more aggressive the charge the more gas produced. Ventilation rates need to be calculated for the install, and depending on factors like air changes per hour, redundancy in the ventilation system and cut-off for boost / equalise charge in the event of ventilation failure may or may not be classified as a hazardous area. Gas detection also may need to be included. Lights generally will be in the ceiling and need to be certified for hydrogen gas use. Air intake to be at or below the level of the lowest cell and exhaust from the ceiling.

The "supplied charged to site" surprises me. Much better to supply them uncharged (and fill the electrolyte on site if wet cells) and charge on site. Disconnecting a charged bank and then reconnecting it on site is doubling the risk. Much better to install dead, then charge them on site. Your company, your risk assessment I guess.

Charge /discharge rates will be best for wet cells, at the cost of being more dangerous. VRLA batteries are slightly safer and AGM sealed batteries safer again but the with increased safety comes reduced capacities and charging rates.

Ultimately if you are supplying a battery bank to my site, the I would expect to see that battery fully charged to capacity and a discharge test done on it before accepting it.

Reply to Battery Charging Room in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock