Discuss Battery drain and related question in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

darkchild101

1. What would caus sparks whenever I touch the terminals with a spanner when battery is connected? Is it sign of a short?

2. Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.5 CRD drains battery flat over 2 days. When I switch off ignition and pull key out, the trip computer stays lit even after closing and l8cking doors

Thanks

1. Which terminals are you touching with a spanner? (and why?!)
2. Your accessory relay may have welded closed?

It was when i was connecting battery after charging it. Unitentinally touched one of the terminals and it sparked. Did it again same thing. Also forgot to say positive terminal is rusty

What is an accessory relay and where is it?

My other question are solar trickle chargers any good to maintain the battery and counter the slow drain? Also considering a battery protectorsupposedly they automatically disconnect battery when voltage drops to a certain point

Last edited by a moderator:
you will get a small spark when you connect the battery. this is because something is drawing current. all modern cars draw a bit when switched off - ecu, clock, etc. what you need is a d.c. clamp meter to measure the current draw. anything over 0.25A needs investigating. also a check to see if the alternator is charging with engine running. any small garage would test this for you FOC.

This should be (though I could be wrong) the layout of the relays under the bonnet.
Battery drain and related question relays 5170612400_1347645933 - EletriciansForums.net
I believe (though I am not experienced in this area) that the accessory relay should switch off when the ignition is switched off, you should hear a click from the relay, and you may be able to feel a slight tremor if you are touching it, when it disengages.
If it does not operate then it may be that I am wrong and it does not switch off with the ignition or that it is not operational.

However I would try and get more detailed information, and try Tel's suggestion above before starting to swap out parts.

solar trickle chargers are really just to prevent loss of charge on long standing and most would not be able to keep up with a constant draw.
I am not sure about battery protectors.
You need to find out what is still running and why and make sure it switches off.

Reply to Battery drain and related question in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock