Discuss Battery operated equipment in bathroom in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

lippy

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice please. I am just returning to the industry after a significant absence so forgive my ignorance.

I have just been to quote for a disabled customer who has a battery operated bath lift.

The power pack is detachable for charging, but has become to heavy for him to lift.

the charger voltage is 27V and the charger is double insulated. He wanted me to put a socket outlet in the hall so he could trail the charger into his bathroom and charge the battery up without removing it from the lift assembly.

I was thinking of mounting the charger in the loft with a pull cord switch to control it and having the 27V charger lead come from the ceiling to the lift assembly.

I am concerned that the 'wandering lead' may breach regs. can anyone offer advice please ???????

Regards Lippy

Presumably this is positioned either next to or under the bath?
If your charger is in the loft with the cable presumably in trunking running down to the battery, assuming the cable in the loft to the bath is running 27v, I'd say its ok but I'd have to read my OSG to confirm.
Sounds like a good idea, maybe you could relocate battery to loft also?

Cant move the battery it forms part of the device, and yes, it is next to the bath. Thanks for the reply.....

i would think that as long as the charger is removed from the bathroom at bath time, there's no problem with your original idea - socket outside bathroom and connect charger when required. talk about nanny state.

I don't have your answer I'm afraid but I'm interested to know if the UK bathroom special location regs and zones apply to ELV cabling and equipment.

Also if I unerstand you correctly, I would ask the manufacturers if the batteries can be charged in situe', some systems require removal to be charged and as yours already does that I would confirm it can be charged as you intend.

Also if I unerstand you correctly, I would ask the manufacturers if the batteries can be charged in situe', some systems require removal to be charged and as yours already does that I would confirm it can be charged as you intend.

Thanks for the response, the battery pack hangs on the lift and has to be plugged into the motor unit, so can not be charged without unplugging from the motor unit.

i would think that as long as the charger is removed from the bathroom at bath time, there's no problem with your original idea - socket outside bathroom and connect charger when required. talk about nanny state.

I was more concerned about the clients elderly wife tripping over the cables. I agree, sometimes H&S can go a bit too far, but such a fall could have serious consequences for aged people. I would just like to do the best job possible.

I don't have your answer I'm afraid but I'm interested to know if the UK bathroom special location regs and zones apply to ELV cabling and equipment.

in the sense that they are more "relaxed" for systems not exceeding 12v , then yes , this equipment is allowed in the more onerous locations.

;-)

in the sense that they are more "relaxed" for systems not exceeding 12v , then yes , this equipment is allowed in the more onerous locations.

;-)
Why do they limit to 12v when the generally accepted ceiling for touch voltage is 50v?

Why do they limit to 12v when the generally accepted ceiling for touch voltage is 50v?

because the regs assume , correctly , that you would be stood in water with bare feet , thus lowering the bodys resistance considerably , therefore requiring an even lower voltage deemed safer for wet locations.

Reply to Battery operated equipment in bathroom in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock