Discuss Battery powerd vending machien...possible or a pipe dream!? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

juoolz

Is it possible to power a vending machiene with some form of battery power for a 24 hour period!
Info I have on vending machines:
Most run on 115 volts at 10.5 amps. Power usage is estimated at 3.1 - 4.4 kWh/day for lighting and 3.5 - 4 kWh/day for refrigeration.
Cheers for any help.

Hmmm problem with a generator is the machine is to be placed in a highly pedestrionised area, as well as some inside, so the noise and fumes unfortunaly make it an absolute no go.

How big is averry big setup?

Could you not put the generator remotely and run a temporary cable to the machine?...to be honest this is your best option also the cheapest by a massive amount...

It would cost you a lot of money to set anything else up for 24hrs...

Sent from my Xperia S using next doors WIFI

Sorry I wasent clear the 24hrs was to represent the minimum time required befor the batteries needed to be swiched. the Machiene would be static and the power switched each day.

In regards to cost what would we theoreticaly be looking at 500-1000 or more?

cheers

Just to clear things up do you want to power the vending machines for 24hrs on battery power?...is this temporary or permanent?...do you want them as back up incase you lose mains supply?...

Could you not put the generator remotely and run a temporary cable to the machine?...to be honest this is your best option also the cheapest by a massive amount...

It would cost you a lot of money to set anything else up for 24hrs...

doubt it would make any difference with the genny i have at home....Petter diesel...lol....oh the stench n row...

Are you sure your figures are correct? I'm not convinced the refrigeration would consume almost the same as the lighting.

Just to clear things up do you want to power the vending machines for 24hrs on battery power?...is this temporary or permanent?...do you want them as back up incase you lose mains supply?...

No the idea would be to swap the batteries every 24 hours and charge them via the mains. However the vending machine will constantly be powered by the batteries!

In regards to the power usage I'm just going on what I could dig up off the net...currently don't have access to the source but will post later.

Cheeers

No the idea would be to swap the batteries every 24 hours and charge them via the mains. However the vending machine will constantly be powered by the batteries!

In regards to the power usage I'm just going on what I could dig up off the net...currently don't have access to the source but will post later.

Cheeers

I dont think it would be feesable, this wouldnt be as simple as one battery then swap it over with another battery which was being charged. You would need a bank of batterys lets say the size of a metal ship container maybe bigger, and you'll need 2 sets of them, then youll need an invertor which aernt cheap, then you'll need something to charge the beasts plus all the other bits and bobs. Your looking at £10,000 plus EASY.

Whats the reason behind this?

Is it possible to power a vending machiene with some form of battery power for a 24 hour period!
Info I have on vending machines:
Most run on 115 volts at 10.5 amps. Power usage is estimated at 3.1 - 4.4 kWh/day for lighting and 3.5 - 4 kWh/day for refrigeration.
Cheers for any help.

OK, just doing some simple maths on this:
A LARGE car battery might be 12V, 100Ah. That's 1200Wh of energy, or 1.2kWh.

Your figures add up to, say, 8kWh/day. So if you could use the whole rated capacity of the batteries to run an inverter, you would need 7 large car batteries for a day's power.

But you can't use the whole rated capacity of the batteries or they'll have a very short life. Also the actual capacity reduces with age and use. Plus, the inverter won't be 100% efficient. So, taking all that into account, you might need 15 or 20 batteries for a day's use. Plus another couple of sets charging up. So perhaps 45 to 60 large car batteries.

I'm sure someone will correct this if I've made an error.

By the way, vending machines are going over to LED for lighting. So I would expect the lighting figure to be quite a lot less than quoted.

Edit: Thinking it over, the batteries would take up about the same amount of volume as a typical vending machine.

I think for the application that the OP has that a machine would need to be designed from the ground up. There are some very efficient 12v fridges with low power consumption available these days and if this technology could be incorporated into a machine I think it would be viable to run from batteries. If the units where being used in an external location it may also be possible to utilise solar power to top up the batteries as well.

Seems that at this point in time a mains connection would be the only realistic option. In regards to building a machiene from the ground up that may well be something for the future.

Cheers and thanks all for your time.

why do i have a sneaky feeling that the op is 13, and he's found an old vending machine that he and his mates want to stick in their den? if i'm right, can i join your gang? scrap the last bit - that sounds weird.

Reply to Battery powerd vending machien...possible or a pipe dream!? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net