• Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net. We hope you find the information you are looking for. But if you don't manage to, please feel free to Register and ask a question yourself. You can delete your account at any time should you quickly find the answers to what you need.

Discuss Battery powered Rotating Beacon in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hello
Hope everyone is well and thanks for creating this forum.

I'm looking for some help for a project I'm doing.
It's a Short Film where I would like a red rotating beacon to cast its light on a solider running in a bunker's corridor.

I found a rotating beacon that comes with a car plug
s-l1600.jpg

How can I convert this to battery powered (like AA or similar maybe? or a small lead battery?) and hang it off a wall without having it to look like it's extruding too much due to the battery size?

Thanks a lot for any advice

Strima

-
Arms Access
How long do you need it to run for? Or could you extend the cable and place a car battery out of sight?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How long do you need it to run for? Or could you extend the cable and place a car battery out of sight?
Hi Strima

I think 5min would be ideal, and eventually carrying extra batteries.

Or run a long cable and convert it to 13amp
Is it possible to do that?

TonyMitchell

-
Arms Access
You could lose the curly cable and connect it to a mains powered 12V DC universal power supply, this would also give the benefit of remote switching.

Thanks for all the hints :)

If I would like to have it powered by AA batteries what should I get/do please?

TonyMitchell

-
Arms Access
Thanks for all the hints :)

If I would like to have it powered by AA batteries what should I get/do please?
You need an 8xAA battery holder, check the available real estate inside the beacon, you’ll probably want a stacked 2x4 variant and not a line of 8

You need an 8xAA battery holder, check the available real estate inside the beacon, you’ll probably want a stacked 2x4 variant and not a line of 8
And wiring? Does the holder comes with an adapter or do I need a special converter?

Can I suggest that the OP asks an engineering friend to help him... I get the feeling he might not even know which way to turn a screwdriver. (no offence intended, I'm thinking safety here)

DPG

-
TA
Arms Access
Can I suggest that the OP asks an engineering friend to help him... I get the feeling he might not even know which way to turn a screwdriver. (no offence intended, I'm thinking safety here)
The risk is minimal in this case, I can't see a problem.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Hello
Hope everyone is well and thanks for creating this forum.

I'm looking for some help for a project I'm doing.
It's a Short Film where I would like a red rotating beacon to cast its light on a solider running in a bunker's corridor.

I found a rotating beacon that comes with a car plug
View attachment 52028

How can I convert this to battery powered (like AA or similar maybe? or a small lead battery?) and hang it off a wall without having it to look like it's extruding too much due to the battery size?

Thanks a lot for any advice
Wow. That sounds proper unique!

Any chance you can link us to the film once done, or is it commissioned for somebody and you can't?

@buzzlightyear please don't delete posts that way, report them instead and ask for them to be deleted. @TonyMitchell (christ we have a lot of Tony's when I try to @ you!) please report the initial post rather than quoting it. When you quote it, we have to read the thread and find the quotes to delete those too. It's double the housekeeping work then. :)

Cheeeerrrrssss

buzzlightyear

-
Arms Access
soorrrrrrry Dan dare I was trying to send a link for the op and my mobile was not having it ,what it was send was random numbers .any way back at the ranch .

Dan

Admin
Staff member
soorrrrrrry Dan dare I was trying to send a link for the op and my mobile was not having it ,what it was send was random numbers .any way back at the ranch .
Bless you. No problem matey. Thanks for the heads up.

PEG

-
TA
Arms Access
Hi,may i suggest to the OP,that they would be better hollowing out that beacon,and getting a small,cheap xenon pcb,off the net. They can have a variety of pulse characteristics,and usually,are powered by AA or AAA batteries.

I did a heath robinson lash up,years ago,for such an ask,which was two 9V batteries,with the stud of one,pushed in to the castle of the other,and take your 18V DC off the remaining two.

You won't get long,and it is a very expensive way round it,if using Duracell :oops:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Might want the rotating action from the light to look a bit more authentic in the movie? Mind you if it's to mimic american police cars or something, pulse might work too, dunno.

DPG

-
TA
Arms Access
Yeah I don't think a flashing xenon is going to give the effect he is after.

Trending Threads

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom