Discuss Battery repair in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

LastManOnline

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
A 24 volt Bosch (GBH) battery repair (which cost 90 euro) was returned to the company who "repaired" it 2 days later as it simply went flat after drilling 2 holes and refused to recharge. Have several that require repair and see the only viable option being to do it myself. Anyone here repaired their own batteries?? (successfully)

I've repaired a link between two cells on a Bosch 18 volt battery that disconnected itself when the battery was dropped.
I have also had a different Bosch 18 volt battery that refused to recharge, but subsequently repaired itself, and is still working happily some years later.
In fact the seven Bosch batteries I have ever owned are all still in full working order.

I've repaired a link between two cells on a Bosch 18 volt battery that disconnected itself when the battery was dropped.
Had the same
I have also had a different Bosch 18 volt battery that refused to recharge, but subsequently repaired itself, and is still working happily some years later.
Ditto this
In fact the seven Bosch batteries I have ever owned are all still in full working order.
Am down to one working battery. The perceived wisdom says you should, nt (can, t) solder new cells in as the heat will destroy the cell. However I have done this previously and the battery suffered no ill affects. Have decided to self repair again and am hoping to pick up a few handy tips from the forum

The recommendation is to store them about 50% of full charge

I've some new ones left at 100% long term

But I saw that the DeWalt site says to store them long term at 100% so maybe I'm alright

Just haven't got round to using the new drills yet

What Ah is it , 90 euro is a lot of money

They're good batteries ime

Given that it's 24V, I'd hazard a guess that it's Ni-MH - maybe fitted to GBH 24V or similar.

Pbobably only 3-4Ah, but no longer in production and options are either repair or buy an Ebay/Amazon special.

options are either repair or buy an Ebay/Amazon special.
Repair its going to be. I have had a mental (and unexplained) obstacle to undertaking what is a relatively simply job. I hope to be reporting back in a week or 2 that my batteries are back "up and running. I almost disposed of my Bosch 24 volt drills, which have given me outstanding service. Have one of them for 24 years and its done some hard graft. Feels like it will go on for another 24.I feelnI owe it to them to give them a new lease of life

Repair its going to be. I have had a mental (and unexplained) obstacle to undertaking what is a relatively simply job. I hope to be reporting back in a week or 2 that my batteries are back "up and running. I almost disposed of my Bosch 24 volt drills, which have given me outstanding service. Have one of them for 24 years and its done some hard graft. Feels like it will go on for another 24.I feelnI owe it to them to give them a new lease of life
put a couple of long leads with croc clips on. then you can connect to the nearest fire alarm detector. ????. I'll get my coat.

GBH range were excellent, and remain widely used, but unfortunately batteries are most definitely their weak point. Just had a quick root through my dead battery collection as I thought there may have been a couple of units that might have been of use to you. but they've been cleared at some point (of which I have no recollection).

GBH range were excellent, and remain widely used, but unfortunately batteries are most definitely their weak point.
Interesting you had that experience. I have found Bosch batteries to be very reliable. The quality of course may have deteriorated. I don't know as I am still using the originals.
I had that experience with RYOBI whose tools, have given me fantastic service. But the batteries they supplied in the 00,s are a pales shadow of what was available in the 90,s
Just had a quick root through my dead battery collection as I thought there may have been a couple of units that might have been of use to you. but they've been cleared at some point (of which I have no recollection).
??

Interesting you had that experience. I have found Bosch batteries to be very reliable. The quality of course may have deteriorated. I don't know as I am still using the originals.

The Bosch tools I owned from that era were all used, so batteries may not have been as well maintained as they could have been, but the point was more that these tools were very well engineered and that no batteries could hope to last as well as the tools.

Given that it's 24V, I'd hazard a guess that it's Ni-MH - maybe fitted to GBH 24V or similar.

Pbobably only 3-4Ah, but no longer in production and options are either repair or buy an Ebay/Amazon special.
Didn't spot the 24v sounds right, I used to have them

They wouldn't be great now compared to the new kit

Didn't spot the 24v sounds right, I used to have them

They wouldn't be great now compared to the new kit

Plenty of more powerful options on the market, but few that are likely to last as long.

Last SDS I bought was a twin battery affair - more powerful than required for most of the work I give it, but hopefully that'll prolong its life. A big problem with many current tools is that their power far exceeds build quality.

Plenty of more powerful options on the market, but few that are likely to last as long.

Last SDS I bought was a twin battery affair - more powerful than required for most of the work I give it, but hopefully that'll prolong its life. A big problem with many current tools is that their power far exceeds build quality.
Yes I was using the Bosch 24v SDS plus for years

They were a great drill

I have a range now from the 12v up to the combi and 18v SDS

Got the cordless impact and a load of gear too, only used it once yet

Reply to Battery repair in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock