Discuss Become an electrician in 4 weeks - Feedback needed. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

thomoose

Hi everyone,

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has attended one of these "become an electrician in 4 weeks" course and how you are getting on since finishing. I don't want to hear from people that have spent 3 years on an apprenticeship only those who have attended one of these career change courses and would like to share the positives and negatives of the courses.

I know people think they are a waist of time and how can anyone become an electrician in 4 weeks but there are so many places offering the service, the demand must be out there and people must be doing it because the courses would not exist. I have managed to speak to a guy that did a 4 week course, managed to get get some work but felt he was way out of his depth but luckily he found someone else to work with and now 12 months later business is booming.

I would love to hear any comments because these courses are not cheap and I would like to hear some stories before I commit. My initial thoughts are they cant be that bad or City & Guilds would not give the qualifications.

Thanks

I know someone who was a bank manager and done a 6 week plumbing course. He worked with someone on labourers money doing bathroom suites for a year before going it alone .

He started by only doing bathrooms which he knew about , since then has grown his business and I pass allsorts of work his way now #makingaliving

one simple answer "you cannot and will not become an electrician in 4 weeks" read the many past threads on here,the c&g certs are only for the basics and it will take approx 4 yrs of hard work and training including on site experience. These courses are only there to relieve you of money

I know someone who was a bank manager and done a 6 week plumbing course. He worked with someone on labourers money doing bathroom suites for a year before going it alone .

He started by only doing bathrooms which he knew about , since then has grown his business and I pass allsorts of work his way now #makingaliving

This is misguiding; what you have here is a financial business manager who just wanted to get a little background knowledge before setting up and employing plumbers, once hes got a the background hes built a firm up from the business side and either employing or subbing plumber to do all the work its a regular practice for those who are financial and business qualified, they sit back while the legit full term plumbers etc do the labour side.

I dare say there are some people who have done them and done ok only in domestic though.
All I can say is I did one at ET4U and its woefully inadequate. I have been lucky to work alongside a spark who has shown me stuff and kept me on track. So unless your gonna be doing simple stuff you will need a mentor.

So you can become an electrician in 4 weeks that means I wasted 3 years and 48 weeks of my life serving my apprenticeship on **** money:censored::censored::censored:

Last edited:
i have been doing this job for 32 years now, i have not done any house bashing for over a decade as i work in a factory now as a maintenance electrician, i have completed the 17th edition to keep up on the regs, i am in the process of building a garage for my bikes, complete with electrics which i will be doing myself, is it true i am not allowed to do it myself as i am not part p, but someone who has completed this 4 week course maybe and can pass my work.

as I am sure Tony and others on here will agree,you are learning new things all the time even after being in the game for years,so how anyone can claim to teach someone to become an electrician in 4 weeks worries me.All I can see is it is a way of relieving people of their hard earned cash and building up false hopes in people who want to better themselves,also I cannot see any responsible employer letting someone loose on their own after 4 weeks training,and lets be honest how many of us sparks would have felt comfy being let out alone after 4 weeks?

My Dad is a spark, he's been doing it since he left school and I don't mind blowing his trumpet and saying he is blooming good at it and a darn good teacher. I followed him around from when I could walk and have worked with / under him in many industrial and domestic situations. I always wanted to follow in his footsteps and become an Engineer or Electrician. I ended up not following in his footsteps, I didn't apply myself enough at the right age, I didn't do an apprenticeship, I should have and wish I did! It's only now that I am getting married and have a young son and am not entirely happy in the job I am doing that I have wished I had tried harder and although I now have done the 17th edition and the 2392 and I am registered with Elecsa. I am capable and confident enough to carry out most domestic work but it is difficult to go further than I have without more training which costs time and money which I don't have while I have to work full time to pay a mortgage and support a family.

Don't waste your time and money on a 4 week deal. Do it right from the start and obtain the right qualifications to go with a time served apprenticeship. As I said I followed my Dad around for years, I still learn something most days and I don't think you can learn enough in 4 weeks, other than the ability to recite the regs, you won't to be competent enough to work on electrical installations in other peoples houses. You are working with a potential killer if not treated and respected in the proper manner.

Just my opinion anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has attended one of these "become an electrician in 4 weeks" course and how you are getting on since finishing. I don't want to hear from people that have spent 3 years on an apprenticeship only those who have attended one of these career change courses and would like to share the positives and negatives of the courses.

I know people think they are a waist of time and how can anyone become an electrician in 4 weeks but there are so many places offering the service, the demand must be out there and people must be doing it because the courses would not exist. I have managed to speak to a guy that did a 4 week course, managed to get get some work but felt he was way out of his depth but luckily he found someone else to work with and now 12 months later business is booming.

I would love to hear any comments because these courses are not cheap and I would like to hear some stories before I commit. My initial thoughts are they cant be that bad or City & Guilds would not give the qualifications.

Thanks

I take it, that you don't want to know or hear what the truth is about these training courses Right?? You only want hear about the Dream they are selling to naive/gullible people

Your being sold a dummy, there is NOT a shortage of unqualified, inexperienced, and incompetent electricians around that have come through these so-called training companies. In fact they are beginning to make up the bulk of Domestic Installers. As for demand, just ask around, ...your in a recession, if you didn't already know and people are keeping their wallets and purses closed...

Ever thought of becoming a Gas Fitter, i'm sure they do 4 week courses too, ... but would you honestly employ one to conduct work in your house?? Any different for Electrical work by someone who's completed a 4 week course??

These training companies will tell you anything you WANT to hear, they are very good at it aren't they?? Unfortunately the truth of the matter is, you do not pass out of these courses a Qualified Electrician, but they will wave bye bye to you, having taken your money and will be looking for the next dream seeker to come along and hook in too!! ....And if you can't see that ...More fool you!!! ...lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You could always buy the DARKWOOD - Body Toner and get a bodybuilders 6-pack in 4weeks and be earning your money as a film star which is only a 2 week acting course...... just think; you could be the next Rambo!

The best way to go about it is to go college. I've worked 7 days a week most weeks for nearly 3 years to go to college one day a week and now I have a full apprenticeship I am still working 7 days.
The hardest part of becoming an electrician is getting someone to show you the ropes. I learned more from my boss than I did anywhere else and without that I believe it would've been a waste of time!

These courses had their use, and that was for people like tonycoysh who already know the trade but haven't got the pieces of paper.
Unfortunately these training companies have expanded their markets by advertising that you can retrain in 4 weeks from barely knowing how to change a plug, then you will either be snapped up by a company or you can start your own company.

After the course you may be able to blag your way through your jobs if you're that kind of person, probably leaving a trail of destruction behind you, or you may be able to get work with an electrician friend (although you wouldn't have needed the course to do that anyway) but for most people looking to get rich quick the only people getting rich quick are the training providers.

Just looked up this course from a firm near me. Electrical Training - Intensive Electrical Training | Electrical Training - Clarkson Evans Training - Electrician Courses sounds great to the innocent. £2250.00 +VAT!!!!!

DO NOT DO IT!

Seriously... £2250 + vat..... My college course has cost me around £2500(no vat) that's level 2 and level 3 and if you haven't studied for an nvq before then you are eligible for funding for the level 2!

it cost the same amount of money to go the better route?

Reply to Become an electrician in 4 weeks - Feedback needed. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock