Discuss Become NAPIT registered in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I called NAPIT to know what are the steps to become registered with them. I have been told I must have NVQ Level 3 as minimum or apply as experienced worker. Barely in mind I got all electrical qualifications until NVQ but not NVQ yet(City&Guilds lev.2, lev.3, 18th Edition and EAL inspection&testing).

Now, they did not specify yet as "experienced worker" whether they need evidences from previous employer/s or old jobs. I cannot have from employers at the moment.

Does anybody know what should I do next?

Thank you

I think the rules were tightened up in October this year. It now looks like it's difficult to gain membership without NVQ3. The document listing the requirements is here. The relevant bit is:

RouteRecognised Qualifications or Equivalent
1Level 3 Certificate in Installing, Testing and Ensuring Compliance of Electrical Installations in Dwellings
2Industry apprenticeship, recognised historical industry qualifications and / or certificates of competence (refer
to EAS Qualifications Guide)
3Mature Candidate assessment via the Recognition of Prior Experience and Learning (RPEL)

The third option might be what you need if you haven't got the right certificates for 1 or 2. There are training providers who you can do the NVQ3 with as a mature candidate although it costs a fair amount. If you're going that route, do your homework and find out about the training provider and what's included before you sign up.

edit: the link doesn't seem to work, its: Revised EAS on the IET website....

Now, they did not specify yet as "experienced worker" whether they need evidences from previous employer/s or old jobs. I cannot have from employers at the moment.

Does anybody know what should I do next?
You should at least try and apply under the experienced worker route. I'm not aware of them being too fussy about preventing people trying, based on some of the people I've seen try and fail or walk out of the two exams. They certainly don't ask too many questions about where you have worked, I think they ask how many years experience you have had. Essentially you fill out a form, sit a theory exam and sit a practical exam. The course is called C&G 7232 if you want to google it.

The written exam is 1/2 day written open-book exams on 18th edition, EAWR and Part P.
The practical exam is doing a 3 phase EICR, a single phase EIC as if you'd installed it, and a minor works cert at the end. This is deliberately a tough exam to filter out plumbers and chancers. To pass you need to demonstrate safe working practises, find all 13 faults on the installation and complete the paperwork to a good standard.

I'd suggest talking to Napit again, while not a perfect organisation they have always been friendly, helpful and vaguely organised on the phone to me.

You should at least try and apply under the experienced worker route. I'm not aware of them being too fussy about preventing people trying, based on some of the people I've seen try and fail or walk out of the two exams. They certainly don't ask too many questions about where you have worked, I think they ask how many years experience you have had. Essentially you fill out a form, sit a theory exam and sit a practical exam. The course is called C&G 7232 if you want to google it.

The written exam is 1/2 day written open-book exams on 18th edition, EAWR and Part P.
The practical exam is doing a 3 phase EICR, a single phase EIC as if you'd installed it, and a minor works cert at the end. This is deliberately a tough exam to filter out plumbers and chancers. To pass you need to demonstrate safe working practises, find all 13 faults on the installation and complete the paperwork to a good standard.

I'd suggest talking to Napit again, while not a perfect organisation they have always been friendly, helpful and vaguely organised on the phone to me

I'd suggest talking to Napit again, while not a perfect organisation they have always been friendly, helpful and vaguely organised on the phone to me.
Napit didn't mention about any courses, either by email or by phone . They only said nvq lev 3 is essential or, as specify by email and correctly you bring it up in the answer above, the years of electrical experience.

Rules have been tighten up since October making more difficult(and expensive obviously) the journey.

I can't speak about post-October scheme acceptance, but training organisations are still selling places on 7232 courses stating "The 7232-(5) course is aimed at the partially qualified electricians who have not completed a full apprenticeship or qualified electricians who need to provide evidence of competency to a third party certification body such as NAPIT and STROMA."

( Competence in the Installation & Testing of Electrotechnical Installations | Electrician Training Courses, Allied Training Solutions - https://www.alliedtrainingsolutions.co.uk/7232-5-competence-in-the-installation-testing-of-electrotechnical-installations/ )

It is of course possible that the wording is not representative of how things actually have worked since October.

So if I were you I would directly ask Napit whether you have enough experience to access the scheme via the experienced worker route if you do the 7232-5 course. I don't think you have anything to lose really.
It probably comes down to whether you can plausibly cite enough experience to sound as if this is the right route for you.
In my case I'd done an apprenticeship in the 90's and had 16th edition, 18th edition and 2391-52.

It's definitely worth speaking to NAPIT to get a clear idea of what they require.

One other thing to consider is whether you will ever need a JIB Gold Card, either now or later. If that's the case the requirement is also likely to be NVQ3.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

It's definitely worth speaking to NAPIT to get a clear idea of what they require.

One other thing to consider is whether you will ever need a JIB Gold Card, either now or later. If that's the case the requirement is also likely to be NVQ3.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Apparently due to the EAS scheme rules that came in to place on the 1st of September, you are now required to have an NVQ level 3 or equivalent to join a certification body. However, if you have the 2365 you could consider the experienced worker route to upgrade your current qualification to the current NVQ standards. NAPIT is also running C&G NVQ 2357 Electrical Installation & Maintenance Online Courses for achieve the requirements.

I will ask for experienced worker route and once I got an answer I will update the post.

I trained in 2018 with access training and then went on to complete 2 years of work on my own (massive learning curve!) completing jobs and having them signed off via building control at £200 per job! with the cost of the course at around £4k and the 2 years of work that I had to stomach the BC fee. it made it a very expensive way of building experience. I've been with NICEIC for 2 years now and on my last inspection I asked the same question. "would I not be able to join up now if I wasn't already a member" They told me that I could if I went down the mature candidate route as it's all about proving the experience. They would accept AM2 (pretty much what Tim Howard above suggests

I trained in 2018 with access training and then went on to complete 2 years of work on my own (massive learning curve!) completing jobs and having them signed off via building control at £200 per job! with the cost of the course at around £4k and the 2 years of work that I had to stomach the BC fee. it made it a very expensive way of building experience. I've been with NICEIC for 2 years now and on my last inspection I asked the same question. "would I not be able to join up now if I wasn't already a member" They told me that I could if I went down the mature candidate route as it's all about proving the experience. They would accept AM2 (pretty much what Tim Howard above suggests
Hello and congrats on managing get qualified on your own. Its an unusual route you have taken, so was hoping you wouldn't mind answering a few questions as I might consider doing the same.

I'm looking at changing career at the moment and am considering training to be a spark (along with a couple of other options), but had previously assumed that being an apprentice was the only way, and I'm too old for that! Although I've never worked as a spark, I do have some electrical eng. qualifications.

Why did you choose the route you did?

How long did it take you from first starting training to getting NICEIC qualified?

How practical is it to go the BC route apart from expense - I thought you generally needed to notify them before starting, then wait ages for them to give green light - is that how it works for typical electrical jobs? Does the BC process limit the jobs you can realistically consider?

What type of jobs did you do after setting up on your own but prior to being NICEIC registered, was is just minor works and EICR's with just enough bigger jobs thrown in to satisfy NICEIC?

How many BC jobs did you end up doing?

Hope you don't mind me asking, and thanks.

David

The rules are getting stricter and with the soon to be released domestic only electrical level 3 NVQ being marketed by JIB and ECS i think it will be inevitable that all current scheme members who are the QS will have to have a NVQ3 or be working towards to remain registered.
There will be a gold card for domestic electric works only, whilst it is an expense and a pain to those with years of experience long term I think it will be good for the trade as a lot of these chancers will not do the training.
Im not saying the gold card is the solution, but its a step in the right direction.

If you are working in the trade and have experience then it could be worth speaking to the forum sponsor @XS Training if you have your 18th and 2391 then you can skip some of the units on the NVQ anyway.

Reply to Become NAPIT registered in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock