Discuss Becoming a electrician in few weeks! (Crash courses) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkz

I know a local guy, calls himself a handy man. His doing a Electrical Crash Course with Trade Skills 4 U. He was telling me his going to be more qualified than me because his doing 17th edition and also a Part P course. I believe learning the hardway is the best way. I attended college and did my 16th Edition an NVQ's for 3 years then worked on site for another 2 years as a aprrentice. Thats 5 years of studying. I dont understand how these courses work? How can they combine everything in such a small amount of time. Could someone explain to me what these courses invole?
At the end of the day i did mention to him he wouldnt last long on price work or even getting a job on a building site.

Appreciate your help....

I know a local guy, calls himself a handy man. His doing a Electrical Crash Course with Trade Skills 4 U. He was telling me his going to be more qualified than me because his doing 17th edition and also a Part P course. I believe learning the hardway is the best way. I attended college and did my 16th Edition an NVQ's for 3 years then worked on site for another 2 years as a aprrentice. Thats 5 years of studying. I dont understand how these courses work? How can they combine everything in such a small amount of time. Could someone explain to me what these courses invole?
At the end of the day i did mention to him he wouldnt last long on price work or even getting a job on a building site.

Appreciate your help....
I'm still learning and I've been at the game for 30 years.;)

it would be interesting to see the "pass rates" on these Part P courses - particularly ones run by profit-making training companies rather than colleges etc.
I suspect there will be a very, very high pass rate as I can well imagine they are "cramming" people to pass an exam and not necessarily to understand the principles involved and the reasons that they are so.

i did one of these 6weeks courses , i served an apprenticeship and worked in various electrical/electronic industries for 20yrs but wanted to go self employed as a domestic installer, yes its cramming based,and your head is spinning after 4weeks of study plus cramming at night,but its a good way of getting all the bits of paper in a short time, the practical work you do is far to short,fortunately i had plenty of experience, just didnt have up to date knowlede of the regs, 2391 sorts the chafe tho. some of the lads there shouldnt have been ,as far to thick and failed every thing, so wasted their money, not cheap.. its not easy either especially if no previous, now got to go and do my 17th, will it never end, all these largely
worthless bits of paper, part p has good intentions, but makes our game more expensive to the clients,who still have work done by cowboys to save loads,most punters arnt worried about a cert. untill part p is properly advertised and some way of enforcing it on clients is found part p will remain an expensive joke......on us.:(

Just to clarify, Part P is NOT a qualification.

Part P is a Building Regulation for electrical safety.
Planning Portal - Approved Document P

The course is to prove that you are competent to safely isolate the supply and remove for example a socket face plate by someone (say a kitchen fitter) who isn't qualified as an electrician but may need to do it in the course of their work. It isn't an electrical qualification hence it is only a short course.

Other that removing and repacing switch and socket plates there isn't much more that can be done because they are not qualified electricians.

Qualified electricians obviously don't need to attend Part P courses because they have far surpassed any competency levels within their years of training at a much higher level.

It is unfortunate that people get the impression that they can attend one of these courses and then believe they are a qualified electrician and its easy. This does happen and has caused may debates.

So the answer to your question is that there is no quick fix, continue as you are doing so and don't worry about a Part P course because your not going to need it.

one week course no previous experience needed will give you full scope cert to register for part p (guy who teaches says he only ever knew of one lad who failed the course)

And again.....

You can have all the qualifications in this trade but that DOES NOT make you a good electrician.

All you need to do is wait for the phone call from him to bail him out:D

I know what my answer would be.....

I did one of these 4 week courses, because i had been in and out of the trade since leaving school (19 yrs ago), Did my 3 year apprenticeship, to the 16 th, but for one reason and another decided to go on my own, so decided this was a good option.

For me it was teriffic and would recommend it to anyone with electrical experience and wants to update qualifications etc....

But for total novices who think they can become a spark in 4 weeks.....NO WAY......

just dont get snooty about the likes of those who are trying to better themselves, like some do, as has been said, we are all still learning, iv met excellent domestic installers who are aware of their limitations so err on the side of safety and do everything to the book, and time served old lags
who cut corners and use old methods when they should know better.;)

Not getting snooty i agree with what your saying.

Great if you're working with electricians and using this to improve at a quicker rate.

Agree some poor electricians out there..old school...but alot of good ones too

just dont get snooty about the likes of those who are trying to better themselves, like some do, as has been said, we are all still learning, iv met excellent domestic installers who are aware of their limitations so err on the side of safety and do everything to the book, and time served old lags
who cut corners and use old methods when they should know better.;)

Not the point.

I am all for people wanting to better themselves and learn a new trade, but when you have people like the OP knows then its not surprising when some time served sparks get a little edgy.

sorry didnt mean to imply anyone was being snooty,more of a warning to all against getting all superior . like you say good and bad in all trades regardless of the type of training received, a quality attitude to the work you do,and not being scared to stop and find out if theres doubts, counts for a lot, regardless of experience and bits of paper.

I don't think anyone was getting snooty here.......so lets not get carried away before we hit the enter key...:).....

cheers lads..

I have been in the trade for along time......but i find this site extremely useful when unsure about certain things.....

You never know everything and are always learning

I did one of these courses a couple of years ago, yes it gives you the theory but when you go into the real world you have no practical experience, and that is one steep learning curve :eek:, Went back in Nov and sat my 2391, that was interesting:confused: I did pass tho, hard work and lot's of revision. I still don't call myself an electrician tho. when i have more 3 phase and commercial experience then maybe i will.

I did one of these courses a couple of years ago, yes it gives you the theory but when you go into the real world you have no practical experience, and that is one steep learning curve :eek:, Went back in Nov and sat my 2391, that was interesting:confused: I did pass tho, hard work and lot's of revision. I still don't call myself an electrician tho. when i have more 3 phase and commercial experience then maybe i will.

Good for you!

However, domestic and commercial are different things so commercial experience may not prepare you for what the domestic world throws at you.

Best to try and do them all at some point.

At lease you will then be able to decide which one is right for you.

Good for you!

However, domestic and commercial are different things so commercial experience may not prepare you for what the domestic world throws at you.

Best to try and do them all at some point.

At lease you will then be able to decide which one is right for you.

Thanks
Being going out with my future ex father in law, he does alot of commercial work. I do prefer commercial work, no bloody customers saying don't make a mess, or i don't want my new carpet lifting, can't you run the cable half way round the house:rolleyes:

And i have learnt quite a bit from this forum aswell,
so thanks to you all.:)

I did one of these courses with a big company, British Gas in fact. In between I worked on site with an electrician of 38 years experience. I'm out on my own for them doing domestic work and I love it. Im pretty confident with most things even rewires etc, just sometimes when you get a dodgy fault from a badly wired house do i struggle a bit, however in the fututre im guna sit through the 2330 Courses and then take it from there, as im only 21 it gives me plenty of time to settle down :).

I did my EAL full scope (part p) last summer. - Disgusted that some of the guys are out there now working in houses after seeing there work having not a clue on the course. We had a tutor that was strict ,half the course failed. - Then speaking to my new 2330 tutor at college - he said he had run the part p course and didnt fail anyone - after all they had paid £1000 for the course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Must agree,im seeing 'corners cut' by electricians with a lifetime of experience.... Steep learning curve for me too. My thanks to all the advice from guys on this site,- I needed it at the start of my business..... Love being out there working as a Part P guy while i finish my 2330. -AGREE THERES NO FAST TRACK- every jobs different and only experience can get you though (and hours of research on products and regs).

Did mine over 4 months with part home study. Fully registyered with NIC 3 wweks after, and now 2391 and 2392 after 3 months expereience.. Have been busy 85% of working datys at 200 squids a day, and KNOW my work is safe qnd effcetive. Hard work, bit of brains applied and creating my own luck. My take out is that if you want to do a good job - custmers will pick this up - and you will. OK... its' domestic. What's wrong with that? Get over it. Muppets always get found out.

PS I had a desk job before this for 15 years

Reply to Becoming a electrician in few weeks! (Crash courses) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock