Discuss Becoming a qualified electrician in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello I've been trying to find apprenticeship for over four years an have had no luck, I have a level 2 and 3 2330-01 and 2330-07 with a level 3 Eal 600/0665/1, I am 22 and it looks like they hire people only 16-19 , I've been told to get Cscs card and become a electricians mate while gaining knowledge, and fund the rest of the courses on my own to become qualified electrician, I feel like I have no help from the government website, that there's no apprenticeships around Liverpool and that am letting my family down and I don't know what to do, can someone please just tell what I have to do

I would try getting a job as a mate and do your NVQ level 3. Agency might be your best bit to gain a little experience then apply for full time jobs after so you can put that you have experience on your CV.

I didn't start my apprenticeship until I was 22 after doing a level 2 course fresh out off school but like you couldn't find a apprenticeship anywhere. Now I'm 25 and have my AM2 in December.
Not sure if they offer it where you are but I went through a training provider called JTL, some lads in my class where work based learners which is another training provider.
But honestly your best bet would be to get on a firm as a mate and fund the nvq yourself. Maybe if your good enough they will help with the funding.

Anyway good luck fella.

You can get a CSCS through the job centre. Visit them and see if you can get in one of their courses - usually 3 days of practice but ultimately it costs nothing. Weigh that against 3 days of wages and paying £200 although I’m sure I’ve heard it cheaper. An ECS will be useful and £48 for exam not sure if the card costs.

Hi Daniel, I've just been taken on as an apprentice and I'm 25. I had plenty of knock backs due to my age but you've gotta keep pressing on, The best advice I could give is to make sure you're casting your net wide. I'm originally from Bolton and I have moved to Wiltshire, 200 miles away to secure my apprenticeship. Best of luck mate.

Yeah, this is the reality... I have been told that becoming an electrician means to supplement your salary by going self-employed, you may work overtime if want to make more money and more benefits I can have if I work as an electrician, I tried and got the same problems as Daniel and while I was trying to be in the profession I have lost my interest, now I`ve changed my occupation, maybe I did not want very much indeed (as my brother says) but my brother is making good money serving houses and apartments as an electrician

Hey guys! I could not edit my old post for updating so I copied "...this is the reality... I have been told that becoming an electrician means to supplement your salary by going self-employed, you may work overtime if want to make more money and more benefits I can have if I work as an electrician, I tried and got the same problems as Daniel and while I was trying to be in the profession I have lost my interest, now I`ve changed my occupation, maybe I did not want very much indeed (as my brother says) but my brother is making good money serving houses and apartments as an electrician"
UPD: OKkk sorry guys I must admit that due to quarantine I returned to this profession again, I work with my brother in electrical contractor Chicago IL if someone needs an electrician please contact us lol, sorry indeed, I was a bad selling manager so the best money I can make is still in the electrician field

I can feel for you trying to get a job you really want and train yourself due to the lack of places in apprenticeships.

Get yourself in touch with the JIB and get a card made up from them. You have made yourself qualified and the rate and job title will be easier for you to know what you are qualified to be.

If I was a company I would take on a mate and use him to do the electricians job.

Sorry did I just say that out loud. At least you know what will happen to you as a mate.
It will however teach you a lot and remember you are in an advantage to get a pay rise if you do get a company like this.

Good luck

Reply to Becoming a qualified electrician in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net