Discuss Becoming a registered electrician in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

If possible i could do with some advice please.

Ive been working on weekends, as employeed during the week but wanting to go self employed as had work offered to me but the work require certification obviously.

Im a 17th edition electrician and have looked at NICEIC Domestic Installer Scheme and NAPIT which they have both said with my qualifications i can apply to be a member.
The situation i find myself in is as im employed during the week i cannot take most jobs which come my way which needs doing during the week, ive been offered work on weekends though im asked to produce a certificate which is only right. But how can i carry out work to use as assessment when i cant because im not yet registered with either government bodies.

Is there any possible way i can get round this issue, like providing a non registered contractors certificate until fully registered?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Hi

If possible i could do with some advice please.

Ive been working on weekends, as employeed during the week but wanting to go self employed as had work offered to me but the work require certification obviously.

Im a 17th edition electrician and have looked at NICEIC Domestic Installer Scheme and NAPIT which they have both said with my qualifications i can apply to be a member.
The situation i find myself in is as im employed during the week i cannot take most jobs which come my way which needs doing during the week, ive been offered work on weekends though im asked to produce a certificate which is only right. But how can i carry out work to use as assessment when i cant because im not yet registered with either government bodies.

Is there any possible way i can get round this issue, like providing a non registered contractors certificate until fully registered?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, Thanks
There is no such thing called “non registered contractors certificate”. Any notifiable job should be certified only by an electrician registered under competent person scheme such as NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT & so on.

You can check this out NICEIC | Contractor | Schemes | Approved Contractor

Cheers!

the way to go here is either napit or elecsa. do the major and the minor job for your assessment (the minor should not be notifiable), so you can do your cert. for that. with the major job. fill in the cert. but don't date it till you have your assessment booked. then notify througn your chosen scheme provider when assessment has been passed. the jobs can be in your own home, e.g. a CU change and an extra socket.

But how can you do domestic electrical installation work to use as assesment by an NICEIC inspector if at the moment i cannot provide the customer a certificate?

Its all confusing and going through hard time understanding how i can get to where i want to be.

that is why it would be best to do the work in your own home, or at that of a friend or relative.

the way to go here is either napit or elecsa. do the major and the minor job for your assessment (the minor should not be notifiable), so you can do your cert. for that. with the major job. fill in the cert. but don't date it till you have your assessment booked. then notify througn your chosen scheme provider when assessment has been passed. the jobs can be in your own home, e.g. a CU change and an extra socket.

Thanks for your reply!

So i can say change CU, install additional circuits and use this as my assessment?

Which do you think are the best to deal with NICEIC, NAPIT or ELECSA

Fantastic, thanks for your advice.

Also what are you assessed on particularly other than your installed work.

NAPIT informed me i can apply for full scope membership is this the same as NICEIC Approved Contractor?

go with napit or elecsa. more for the small business than nicic. if you contact either they will tell you what you need to have regarding paperwork. they want to see you are capable of testing, safe isolation etc. there are several threads with more in depth info. try a search on the forum, keyword "assessment" or " napit" or "elecsa".

Hi sparkiejay, been with NAPIT for 5 years now, overall they are fairly good, tech helpline & customer service decent too.

NAPIT - How to join NAPIT

From what I understand you have 30 days to notify the job after competion, this does not stop you issuing a relevant MWC/EIC to your customer but does give you a little room for manoeuvre. You could always "adjust" the date on the certificate or even re-issue it after your assessment.

Speak to NAPIT, (I was in a similar position) about the best way forward. You could also speak to your LABC to gauge their opinion as to whether you can notify the job after assessment.

Best of luck.

Regards wa

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi sparkiejay, been with NAPIT for 5 years now, overall they are fairly good, tech helpline & customer service decent too.

NAPIT - How to join NAPIT

From what I understand you have 30 days to notify the job after competion, this does not stop you issuing a relevant MWC/EIC to your customer but does give you a little room for manoeuvre. You could always "adjust" the date on the certificate or even re-issue it after your assessment.

Speak to NAPIT, (I was in a similar position) about the best way forward. You could also speak to your LABC to gauge their opinion as to whether you can notify the job after assessment.

Best of luck.

Regards wa

Thanks for your reply.

Nice to know someone else was in same position and has got where they wanted. Will be choosing NAPIT as from what people have said are much easier to deal with than NICEIC.

Do you remember what you are assessed on? will my own house be sufficiant for accessment or do you require 2 sites?

durham is the one to speak to,he's in the same boat as you works 25hrs a day 8 days a week tho he'll give the postives and negatives about it.

and brucelee has just had his 1st elecsa assessment, so he can advise on elecsa.

Reply to Becoming a registered electrician in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net