Discuss Becoming an Electrician without going down Apprentice route? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cliff02

I am 24 years old and looking at becoming an electrician.

How would i go about doing this without going down the apprentice route?

My local college offer these courses City and Guilds level 2 and 3 in electrotechnology

if i did these two courses were would i go next after that?

You would still require the practical experience, need to try and get yourself an electricians mate role.
The college could then advise you on any other additional courses

I know its hard to get an apprentership these days.

The 2330 level 2 and level 3 (which you mentioned) is definitley the way to go, and as diditrain said try and get work as an electricians mate/labourer whilst you do this course.

The only difference between what you're talking about and an apprentership is NVQ level3 and the practical experience.

The way you talk about, level2 and level3, is definitley the correct route to take buddy, once you've completed them 2 courses, take the 17th edition update course ( you wont need the full course because you'll have studied to 17th )

Enquire around companies in your local area about doing 1day 2day weeks to start with, and show willing to learn and fingers crossed you'd get taken on for longer. You'll get several knockbacks when looking for work, but keep trying/pestering companies in your local area and surely one of them will give you a run on a "trial" bases.

Good Luck, Happy Christmas and all the best for 2013.

I know its hard to get an apprentership these days.

The 2330 level 2 and level 3 (which you mentioned) is definitley the way to go, and as diditrain said try and get work as an electricians mate/labourer whilst you do this course.

The only difference between what you're talking about and an apprentership is NVQ level3 and the practical experience.

The way you talk about, level2 and level3, is definitley the correct route to take buddy, once you've completed them 2 courses, take the 17th edition update course ( you wont need the full course because you'll have studied to 17th )

Enquire around companies in your local area about doing 1day 2day weeks to start with, and show willing to learn and fingers crossed you'd get taken on for longer. You'll get several knockbacks when looking for work, but keep trying/pestering companies in your local area and surely one of them will give you a run on a "trial" bases.

Good Luck, Happy Christmas and all the best for 2013.

pretty sure the update course isn't available anymore, I completed my apprenticeship in June and was planning on doing the update as like you say trained to 17th edition regs but had expired, so still debating whether to do it or just not bother and go for the 2394-95

u may want to check if u need the 17th editon, cos 2330,2,3 is to 17th editon as is nvq3

the 17th update is 4 people who pasted under 15th/16th edition

No you will only need to do the Update course if you do the 2330 L2/L3 even though you are taught to the Regs , you still need the 17th Edition Certificate to show that you are upto date with The Regs.

Whether you call it 'an apprenticeship' or something else, you can't just walk out of college and into a job as a fully qualified electrician on the same wages as one. You'll need to spend some time learning the practical side of things on site as an apprentice or adult trainee, or you could call yourself something else entirely.

No you will only need to do the Update course if you do the 2330 L2/L3 even though you are taught to the Regs , you still need the 17th Edition Certificate to show that you are upto date with The Regs.

That was my understanding of it aswell. When you do the 2330 l2 and l3 you just get the l2 and l3 certs. Seems abit stupid to me if they make you do the 3day course when you've just studied it. cliff02, You'll only need to do the online multiple choice joke exam.

i don't think the 17th edition update is available anymore. i believe they removed this option when the 1st amendment came out last year. because the amendment was so substantial, it was felt that everyone should do the full course.

of course, it should still be possible to book the exam yourself, without enrolling onto a course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies very helpful :)

Been thinking might look into the apprenticeship as it would build my experience as you all say. What are the pay like for an apprentice? does it increase year by year?

Thanks for the replies very helpful :)

Been thinking might look into the apprenticeship as it would build my experience as you all say. What are the pay like for an apprentice? does it increase year by year?

If I were you mate I'd do volunteer work a few times a week even a Saturday, he experience you will get will blow any time in the college out of the water, i qualified this year and was up against a full timer who had level 3 and 2. No NVQ or AM2, selling himself as a qualified sparky and was utterly ****, asking question after question because he was only used to working off a 1m sq board with a college guy behind him, every guy on here will tell you to stay away from a full time course, depending on your age I think minimum is £110 a week over 20-21 I think it's minimum wage but don't take my word for it.

i don't think the 17th edition update is available anymore. i believe they removed this option when the 1st amendment came out last year. because the amendment was so substantial, it was felt that everyone should do the full course.

of course, it should still be possible to book the exam yourself, without enrolling onto a course.

That seems extremley strange too me. You're probably correct though, because i was just guessing as i have no real idea.

It just seems odd that everyone doing the 2330 course now, even though their studying to am1 that they still have to do the full 17th course. If that is correct shagbite, then this is another typical case of the electrical industry conning us. Money grabbing bas*****

Regardless of the new names of the tin pot courses these days, 4 -5 years at college and on site under supervision learning from an experienced electrician is the proper way, some guys here have done the shorter courses but still do the work on site, take the longer route IMO, Merry Christmas and a Happy new year.

Hi diditran,

I'm 20 and have just got my Level 2 2330, i start Level 3 in new year. I'm currently working for a fire/access control/data installation company.. so when I come to do the NVQ which obviously requires photos of me doing installations will that be accepted? Because I am not in an electrical contracting firm and therefore I'm not carrying out any 230/400 related work.

....Surely your college tutor would be the best person to ask this question too buddy?

The amount of college courses / qualifications there is about nowadays it really wouldn't suprise me if theres an NVQ that fits what you do. Its best to ask your tutor buddy.

As far as im aware the NVQ3 in electrotechnology ( the one that you're talking about? ) probably wont allow for what you're doing, but im sure they'll be another NVQ or equivalent that you'll be able to do. Im not speaking from experience though, just educated guessing :)

you won't finish all the required units for the 2356 or 2357 unless you're working with micc/fp200, pvc swa, pvc singles or pvc twin. you also need to be doing lighting AND control, power, multi-phase, ELV and, LV single-phase. there are several performance objectives that you must complete and given the type of work you're doing, you won't meet them.

also, you need to provide evidence that you can inspect, test and commission an installation. this would require you to complete 6 tests: (1) cpc continuity (2) ring final continuity (3) insulation resistance (4) earth fault loop impedance (5) polarity (6) rcd testing.

you also need to diagnose and rectify 3 faults. these would need to be: overload, earth leakage, open circuit, short circuit, sensitive rcd's, high resistance joints, or, incomplete ring. (3 faults from the 7 listed).

sorry to be the bearer of bad news mate, but at least you now have a better idea of what's required. good luck.

Second what shagbite says, when i was at college, some of the students were not working in the electrical industry and they were informed that they could not complete the course unless they were in employment. They had a way of fudging it to get them through though. You really need to discuss it with you tutors.

Reply to Becoming an Electrician without going down Apprentice route? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net