Discuss Becoming an electrician?? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys just after some general advice, if that's ok??
Mulling some options over...

I am 44, worked the last 25yrs for one of the big six suppliers, ten in the office, with the last 15 of those out fitting electric meters, so I have some background, and built up some good knowledge and experience of the industry over the years.

There is talk of voluntary redundancies in the offing, with numbers of 12-18mths pay to go, being banded around...

I am wondering if it comes to pass whether to stick it out here, or take it up, and if so on what to do then.
One option is, I would like to find out how much is involved to get qualified as an electrician??

I would have cash to live off and pay up front for full time courses!
I have done some googling but every site offers differing advice on what courses to do?
Can anyone confirm which I would need to get going?

Is it as simple as doing the courses and then I could apply for jobs, or is there more to it than that??
And could I do any work for myself from that point or is more involved to get to that stage??

Thanks in advance for any input!!

Hi guys just after some general advice, if that's ok??
Mulling some options over...

I am 44, worked the last 25yrs for one of the big six suppliers, ten in the office, with the last 15 of those out fitting electric meters, so I have some background, and built up some good knowledge and experience of the industry over the years.

There is talk of voluntary redundancies in the offing, with numbers of 12-18mths pay to go, being banded around...

I am wondering if it comes to pass whether to stick it out here, or take it up, and if so on what to do then.
One option is, I would like to find out how much is involved to get qualified as an electrician??

I would have cash to live off and pay up front for full time courses!
I have done some googling but every site offers differing advice on what courses to do?
Can anyone confirm which I would need to get going?

Is it as simple as doing the courses and then I could apply for jobs, or is there more to it than that??
And could I do any work for myself from that point or is more involved to get to that stage??

Thanks in advance for any input!!
1and a half years salary to take a walk, go for it and take the chance, if you stay you MAY get a fraction of that, and you have a heads up being in the DNO biz, plus you are still a young man.

That may be the Modern term, but I know it as Sausage, or Greig's staple that's where most of them congregate for Breaky before going to the DHSS.

Hi Barlow! Don't jump before your absolutely sure after weighing everything up.....sometimes the grass isn't always greener.
A few questions to you, you don't have to answer them id understand but trying to see the full picture......

Have you got a pension with this (big 6) company....if so why leave now after 25 years?
How much (roughly) are you on now and what hrs do you work?
What's your current job package? ie company car/van etc...

Let's say you are a fully qualified spark....what's your ideal role?
Having your own business?
Working on industrial sites?
Commercial construction?
Electrical Maintenance? FM?
Domestic new build or rewires?
To name a few.
There are so many possibilities once your qualified but like most things in life half the time it's not what you know it's who you know and I'd be a little wary, nothings guaranteed but if your in a rutt?.....

You could always do the 2391, 2919 and 2382 then become a EV charging installer in just a few months.

Morris Services - Getting Started - https://www.morrisservices.co.uk/gettingstarted.asp
The link above will put you in the picture. Whatever any course provider tells you the routes above are the only accepted de facto routes at this time, which is changing all the time. Study carefully and you will be able to ask for exactly what you want. I sympathise with the confusing advice you are being given. I venture to suggest that perhaps these people do not know what they speak of. If they are not offering you the above and giving you flannel about the earnings and so on drop them. Best of luck if you take the above route(s) Getting in requires you with the qualifications to have hands on experience in the trade so you would be looking for mate or improver work. Advertise in electrical wholesalers. You may have to work for free as honestly if you know nothing then you are a liability and slow work down. I sounds as if you have a great grounding however and should be able to hit the ground running with it all.

Reply to Becoming an electrician?? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock