Discuss Becoming an electrician.. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi folks,

So I was in the process of looking into a career change. I noticed a local training company offering a 'gas managed learning program', enabling you to become a gas safe registered engineer, but I don't have much hope for gas with the net zero plans so decided to look through their alternative courses and found an electrician course.

The quals on offer are:

• LCL Awards Level 3 Certificate In Installing, Testing and Ensuring Compliance of Electrical Installations in Dwellings
  • LCL Awards Level 3 Award in the Requirements for Electrical Installations BS7671:2018
  • LCL Awards Level 3 Award in the Initial Verification, Periodic Inspection Testing, Condition Reporting and Certification of Electrical Installations
  • Domestic Electrical Installer
  • LCL Awards Level 3 Award in the Installation and Commissioning of Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment in Domestic, Commercial and Industrial locations

This course is delivered over 6 months with the majority of it being out with an electrician learning the trade and building your portfolio.

Cost is nearly £7k and they're that confident in it, they're offering you a job at the end of it.. doing what, paid what and for how long I don't know..

But just looking for some pointers.. does this seem better than your average 'sparky in 10 weeks' course? Does it seem somewhat decent? Would you anticipate any difficulty getting employed afterwards (if you didn't accept the job offer)?

TL;DR
6-month course at nearly £7k with guaranteed job offer at the end
Is it any good?
Would you anticipate any difficulty getting a job with the above?
Perhaps share the name of the training company, in case any of us have heard of it. It might well be a respectable company, but there are some training companies out there that promise one thing but deliver almost nothing. Be especially wary of a company that arranges out-sourced finance, so when they don't deliver, you still have to pay the finance company.

I'd be very sceptical about any promised job offer, I don't see how anyone could guarantee that. Unless perhaps it is working on a commission-only basis to recruit more candiates for their courses!

I can't remember which training company it was but there was one where people struggle to get past the pre course assessment, having already committed to paying with no refund possible.

2 things any training provider cannot do;
Guarantee you will complete their training courses.
Guarantee a job, in that field after completion of the course.

LCL = Logic

Last edited:
Hi folks,

The training provider is a local company in Scotland called Energy Technical Academy. They have a good rep for turning out Gas Engineers who then go on to full time jobs.

Here is a link to the page whereby they promise a guaranteed job:

Anyone recommend this or avoid?
Anyone recommend this or avoid?
Hi Rd32 I cannot recommend this or advise against this what i can say is that in Scotland the Sjib has only two routes the apprentice route and the cec route.
The apprentice route has the sub route for adult s.
These routes MUST have an employer backing

In England However there is a third route

Self directed study various options all without an employer followed by nvq ( with an employer) including an Nvq.

i dont think the course you have mentioned is something that would gain much Industry recognition in scotland farless goldcard status

cheers

Hi folks,

So I was in the process of looking into a career change. I noticed a local training company offering a 'gas managed learning program', enabling you to become a gas safe registered engineer, but I don't have much hope for gas with the net zero plans so decided to look through their alternative courses and found an electrician course.

The quals on offer are:

• LCL Awards Level 3 Certificate In Installing, Testing and Ensuring Compliance of Electrical Installations in Dwellings
  • LCL Awards Level 3 Award in the Requirements for Electrical Installations BS7671:2018
  • LCL Awards Level 3 Award in the Initial Verification, Periodic Inspection Testing, Condition Reporting and Certification of Electrical Installations
  • Domestic Electrical Installer
  • LCL Awards Level 3 Award in the Installation and Commissioning of Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment in Domestic, Commercial and Industrial locations

This course is delivered over 6 months with the majority of it being out with an electrician learning the trade and building your portfolio.

Cost is nearly £7k and they're that confident in it, they're offering you a job at the end of it.. doing what, paid what and for how long I don't know..

But just looking for some pointers.. does this seem better than your average 'sparky in 10 weeks' course? Does it seem somewhat decent? Would you anticipate any difficulty getting employed afterwards (if you didn't accept the job offer)?

Be wary

Where are you based?

At least looking up "Energy Technical Academy" on companies house is not giving me the impression of a company doing well. Their compulsory strike-off in April this year seemed to get suspended, then discontinued, when they finally published some late accounts showing a balance sheet of £58k in the red. I'd be a little wary of giving them too much money up-front for anything.

Reply to Becoming an electrician.. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock