Discuss Becoming an live events electrician in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently working as an electrician on commercial and industrial projects, however I am very interested in trying to break into the live events side, only thing is i don't have any experience in it.

Would this be a possible transition? and if so could you recommend a way of beginning the process of changing to the event industry.

Regards

Ash

I would say if you have experience in the commercial and industrial sectors, you shouldn't have any problems in the events sector. Maybe have a read of particular parts of the regs that relate to live events/stage equipment etc.

Jay

Not trying to be funny, but you could describe me as having got the t-shirt on this one. Three Q's for you:
1) How old are you?
2) Do you have a family?
3) Whereabouts are you?

Not trying to be funny, but you could describe me as having got the t-shirt on this one. Three Q's for you:
1) How old are you?
2) Do you have a family?
3) Whereabouts are you?

1) How old are you? 26
2) Do you have a family? No children
3) Whereabouts are you? I'm currently in Carrdington around 40 miles from London, however i would be open to moving if, I can get a decent job lined up.

OK, well those answers work in your favour - you need to be young, fit, have no expectation on a social life again and be prepared to spend most of your life driving out of London at 3am.

For starters, the fact that you're a sparky won't count for much at all. In fact, it will probably actually put peoples back's up, so choose your moments wisely. There are really two different avenues open, both arriving at the same place: Freelance technician in the events industry doing principally lighting and AV work, or a freelance tech to a power supply company. The former is less seasonal than the latter. Nobody is going to 'offer you a job', you need to find a foot in the door, make the tea and generally be prepared to be abused for a fair while. There are dozens of London based events companies - look some up on the web, and find where to send a CV in - but be honest with them; they'll expect you to hit the ground running with all sorts of conventions and technologies that you've never come across before so there's no point in trying to B-S it, it just won't wash.

Don't expect a regular full-time job as you won't get one unless you've got a fair few years of experience already under your belt and are prepared to take a pay hit - almost the entire industry is freelance, so get used to the idea of near killing yourself on an 80hr week and then waiting 2 months for your invoice to get paid.

BUT....now that I've painted the worst side, the upsides are brilliant. I've travelled the world, met some amazing people and shared some incredible experiences - it's worth going for if you're determined to succeed. PM me, let's see if I can give you some pointers.

I'll echo what rock has said, be prepared to sweep the floor, make tea and be sent to the loaders for a long wait a couple of times if you get yourself some theatre work.

The hours are ridiculous sometimes, chances are a 9 to 5 shift is actually 21:00 to 05:00.

But go for it, get your CV out there and make as many enquiries as you can.
The industry can be a bit of a closed shop at times but it is possible to get in.

I'll echo what rock has said, be prepared to sweep the floor, make tea and be sent to the loaders for a long wait a couple of times if you get yourself some theatre work.

The hours are ridiculous sometimes, chances are a 9 to 5 shift is actually 21:00 to 05:00.

But go for it, get your CV out there and make as many enquiries as you can.
The industry can be a bit of a closed shop at times but it is possible to get in.

Thanks for the reply,

Do you have experience in theatre work ? I'm hoping to get involved in festivals as well if possible.

Do you think I should mention im an electrician ?

I've been messing about in theatres since before I started my apprenticeship. I did work experience with a stage lighting company at 16 and have been getting paid to do it ever since.

Being a qualified electrician is not a bad thing, but don't go quoting BS7671 at anyone unless you want a black eye, the regs are definitely treated as a guideline only in that world.

I've been messing about in theatres since before I started my apprenticeship. I did work experience with a stage lighting company at 16 and have been getting paid to do it ever since.

Being a qualified electrician is not a bad thing, but don't go quoting BS7671 at anyone unless you want a black eye, the regs are definitely treated as a guideline only in that world.

Do you think that would be a good entry point? I need to gain experience, hopefully my electrical background should help some what.

Ha, dont worry no danger of that happening.

Do you work for yourself then i take it?

Me, I am a self employed electrician, a casual employee of a local theatre and a director of a firework display company and heavily involved with an event services company.
I get bored doing the same thing for too long ;)

You need to put yourself out there, find companies who do what you want to do and send them your CV with a good covering letter.
There are a lot of people doing the same thing so you need to make yours look professional and truthful.

The companies doing power distribution at those events will always be looking for people to work them, but don't expect to be getting anywhere main stages or the fun areas until you've built up some experience and climbed the ladder.
You'll start off getting covered in red diesel and coiling cables that the paying public have been ****ing all over.

Me, I am a self employed electrician, a casual employee of a local theatre and a director of a firework display company and heavily involved with an event services company.
I get bored doing the same thing for too long ;)

You need to put yourself out there, find companies who do what you want to do and send them your CV with a good covering letter.
There are a lot of people doing the same thing so you need to make yours look professional and truthful.

The companies doing power distribution at those events will always be looking for people to work them, but don't expect to be getting anywhere main stages or the fun areas until you've built up some experience and climbed the ladder.
You'll start off getting covered in red diesel and coiling cables that the paying public have been ****ing all over.

So basically you do abit of everything? :shades_smile:

I am similar really feel like its time for a change! If I don't do it now, it may never happen!

Looks like I will have to go self employed to follow this route into events

Yeah I know ill start at the bottom again, hope my age doesn't go against me on that one.

I've been in contact with a few companies such as powerlog,speedy events, energy rentals, aggreko.

Im starting to feel like this isnt really a career move more of a feather to the cap as such?

Like many people in the game I have developed a severe allergy to any generator with speedy written on the side of it. For some reason I break out in a terrible case of relentless verbal profanities if one turns up at a job I'm working on.

Like many people in the game I have developed a severe allergy to any generator with speedy written on the side of it. For some reason I break out in a terrible case of relentless verbal profanities if one turns up at a job I'm working on.

I see, not the most reliable then

Anyone and everyone are worth a shot. You'll need to learn a bit if everything to get anywhere.

Look for local stage lighting and event companies too.

It's only once you get to big events that power distribution seperates out from just falling under the general heading of 'electrics'.

One event we do each year has about 5000 in the crowd and 2 stages. I am technically the 'production electrician' on the site but I look after building the main structures, spec bing the generators, towing generators to site, filling them with diesel, bashing posts into the ground to hang miles of festoon lighting from, lifting speakers, directing traffic, getting lorries stuck in mud out of mud, negotiating the return of all our equipment from the funfair people.

And then the biggest challenge facing any live events electrician is the catering department! No matter what you do they will overload and melt at least 1 cable or piece of distribution equipment.

I see, not the most reliable then

Let's just say it's a bit like how the fat guy always get's called 'Tiny'. :)

Don't know what you mean rock?

Last time I had generators from them I only had to knock about 6 inches of concrete off to get to the controls! pretty good for them.

Oh yeah and I asked for 2 x identical with 125A 5 pin sockets on (prime and standby, manual changeover), what I got was 2 completely different both on lugs, with the connections in a completely different arrangement.
Obviously the inevitable happened and 3 of us disconnected, cut lugs off (too small), adapted the bare ends onto the bolts, connected up and fired her up.

Reply to Becoming an live events electrician in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock