Discuss Bedroom Lighting - Pullcord or bedside switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jase31

What seems to be common practice at the moment in relation to bedroom light switches.

Are most people fitting just a main switch, pull cords, or bedside wall switches?

most of my clientele are not so bone idle lazy. they get out of bed to turn the light off. an ugly pull switch above the bed is, IMO, an eyesore i'd never fit.

Agree, a pull switch is an eyesore.
I'm nearly always requested to put a switch by the bed though.

we only ever switch the ceiling light on when it's hot (fan/light). that's about 3 nights out of 365. if lazy sods want to switch off from the bed, a remote control switch saves chasing a 2 way switch in to the bed.

As a child I had a pull switch in my bedroom. It wasn't an ugly pull switch though, it was disguised as a bell rope.
Other than that I don't think I've ever seen a pull switch in a bedroom.

Where I'm working at the moment we install a switch by the door, then switches either side of the bed, or between them in a twin room. This seems to work OK because the beds can't be moved, even though you could almost reach the door from the bed; the customer is paying so who am I to argue?

Personally I'd probably just have a lamp on the bedside table.

or a pool cue.

In the 40’s and 50’s they were common, but to be honest bloody ugly!

My first house had a panel of 5 dimmers at the side of the bed so you could set mood lighting. I may as well have fitted an on/off switch with the wife’s “moods”

Last edited by a moderator:
In the 40’s and 50’s they were common, but to be honest bloody ugly!

My first house had a panel of 5 dimmers at the side of the bed so you could set mood lighting. May as well fitted an on/off switch with the wife’s “moods”

Lol!

Is it the same ratio as Telectrix, 3 days out of 365?

For my installs - 2 way and intermediate switching, including switches both sides of the bed - one for main lighting and one for each of the 5A outlets installed either side of the bed - all controlled from any of the 3 switches in the room (just a couple of strappers to run) LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
For my installs - 2 way and intermediate switching, including switches both sides of the bed - one for main lighting and one for each of the 5A outlets installed either side of the bed - all controlled from any of the 3 switches in the room (just a couple of strappers to run) LOL

Now you started something else! 5a sockets for the bed lamps. Like the idea! Would be good in main living room too!

Now you started something else! 5a sockets for the bed lamps. Like the idea! Would be good in main living room too!

Hehe, its got to be done - its the best way IMO - covers all areas.

Yep - do the same for living rooms also - i think it looks quite flash when you can turn on your table lamps etc.. from your main light switch :p

These are still very popular, haven't you come across them before? I put about 20 or 30 in our local pub a few years ago, and they are still in use, and can be turned on and off behind the bar. Its just a shame that at xmas he unplugs one of the lamps on the window sill to make way for his chavvy illuminated plastic singing santa!

Cheers........Howard

Hehe, its got to be done - its the best way IMO - covers all areas.

Yep - do the same for living rooms also - i think it looks quite flash when you can turn on your table lamps etc.. from your main light switch :p

Thanks for suggestion. To be honest, Id forgot about the 5a sockets. Just made the job bigger for myself! but worth the effort I think!

Can’t beat 5A sockets dotted around the room for standard / table lamps. The wife can’t plug the Hoover in and blow the dimmer out of the wall. (Given half a chance she would).

Can you still get 2A sockets?

most of my clientele are not so bone idle lazy. they get out of bed to turn the light off. an ugly pull switch above the bed is, IMO, an eyesore i'd never fit.

Thats nothing ! im so lazy i was even debating fitting a PIR so all i have to do is put my hand up ! sod pulling a switch !

I had to fit a pull cord switched 2 way with the main switch for an elderly couple the other week, cord hanging by the headboard in the middle of the bed.
Its what the customer wanted!

Reply to Bedroom Lighting - Pullcord or bedside switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock