Discuss Been a subby for a company for nearly 10 years and been asked to do this in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Been asked to now use a tracker on my own van while working for them. Feel this is totally unnecessary as it’s my own van and I’m self employed. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I remember once I worked for a company
Where they said to me you are taking to long to get to the jobs and it was a big contract. Plus working on tod, they gave me a power tools.
So one morning when in the office throwing the power tools at them, and shouted shove them, the boss said what about the job, me shove where the sun don't shine.plus it was me own van has well.

They can ask, however you don’t have to agree.

I would send them an email stating that you have concerns about adding any form of tracking to your vehicle as it is owned by you and used for the purpose of your business (at times this may also be there business purposes also)

Also ask for a copy of there GDPR policy

If you have a choice to opt out or if using it is considered compulsory for continued employment.

What the information will be used for
How long the information will be stored
Who will have access to it
Weather there data security is regularly audited
If they have had any data breaches in the last 10 years

That lot should keep them busy for a while, often companies implement these things without considering all the problems that may come of it.

When I worked at RAF Leuchars in fife, The company did fit trackers to all their vehicles... only 6 of them. Lasted about 5 weeks until the RAF told them they couldn’t drive anywhere near the Missile Section in case the trackers set them off.
Some delivery lorry with a remote controlled hiab on the back was also sent packing.

4 down and 3 across would be my response ! Is it a sensitive government contract that you are working on ? That's about the only rational justification I can think of

I guess it depends on the employment contract. If you are employed by them, it is their van, and the use/privacy policy is clear and provided to all staff then these is nothing you can do.

But as it is your van, and I guess you are free to use it outside for personal work or travel, it is a very different matter. You say it is "while working for them" does that mean you can switch it on/of at 8am/4.30pm or whatever your working day is?

I would say if they want it on all the time they should provide the van.

What reasons did they give for requesting a tracker?

I suppose they're entitled to request it if they're willing to pay for it but it's your call if you want to do it....

I'd be more concerned about the implications of things like IR35 biting you in the arse. So yes, I can't think of any possible reason why I as an employer could justify asking a sub contractor to fit a tracker for my benefit, so I doubt very much they could either.

Apparently so I don’t have to keep a track on my mileage anymore and they can see if I am close to any call outs, that I never get asked to do anyway. All a load of crap if you ask me
ask them what reason why should have a tracker on my van considering I'm self employed
or are you moonlighting and say you are there .
me ok fit one on that will cost them when you leave them and stick it on a taxi .lol.

ask them what reason why should have a tracker on my van considering I'm self employed
or are you moonlighting and say you are there .
me ok fit one on that will cost them when you leave them and stick it on a taxi .lol.
Defo no moonlighting going on, you would think after all this time working for them that thing called trust would come into play.

Do you insure the van yourself? It maybe their insurance company is stipulating this condition.

Ps. I am referring to the goods and equipment you may carry, not the road traffic act .

Last edited:
The answer should be No to a tracker.
It's not that hard to work out mileage, if they don't believe you then as they give you the work they know where you've been so can easilly check the mileage.

As a Subcontractor you should be free to come and go as you please and do what you want in between jobs for them.
If you're not then you should be an employee of theirs.

I don't know the regulation, but if within the company there is someone who could do the job you are sub-contracted to do they must employ that person permanently to carry out that work, they may be wanting to prove to the IR that they employ a sub-contractor because no one else has the expertise to carry out the work and that you work on other projects, the rules are a bit complicated and they may need the proof.

Are you using the companies fuel card ? Is your Van sign written with the companies logo ? Trying to work out how they they seem to think they are within their rights to ask you to
Comply with their request

Reply to Been a subby for a company for nearly 10 years and been asked to do this in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net