Discuss Been asked to do a office. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys been asked to do a office, not my norm but up for it.

Basically wants new CU on office floor, fed from a main board in basement, 2 x 4mm radials in dado trunking, 1 light circuit,
done all calcs and spec but was wondering as the cable in dado, lighting above false ceiling and run to basement in void do i need RCD protection ...As commercial. He has Servers on this office and certainly wouldnt want nusense tripping not that there should be with new circuit ...

Any thoughts. any pointer towards the reg i should be looking at ....Is there any new amended ones i not seen?

thanks

If the cables are surface mounted, not to be used outside and the installation is under the supervision of a skilled or trained operative (eg handyman) then you shouldn't need an rcd, but at the end of the day it's your call - if there's a kitchen area I'd probably put that on an rcd (or more likely RCBO) because I wouldn't trust the office staff not to stick cutlery in the toaster, fill the kettle while it's plugged in etc.

I would not put a rcd/rcbo on the computer radial but would use rcd on anything else, that is if you can split the circuits that way.

If you've got a decent clamp, put it on the CPC of the circuit supplying the servers, computers etc on the current installation and see what sort of nominal leakage there is under typical load, and then the main earth. It might give you a bit of steer for the new design.

If you've got a decent clamp, put it on the CPC of the circuit supplying the servers, computers etc on the current installation and see what sort of nominal leakage there is under typical load, and then the main earth. It might give you a bit of steer for the new design.

Yeah the leakage test i was gonna do like this but i cant as its new office no ones in there yet so nothing to test.......The 2 offices dado trunking is gonna be strictly Pc/laptops/monitors etc etc..wont be any kitchen stuff they have a commmon kitchen......

They are two very small offices like 7 sockets in each. I mean its not a supervised area but i thought that only applied to domestic instals, there no outside.

weird just typed and posted reply and lost whole post....Anyway REPLY TO DAVE, imposs to say how many pc's or whether old or new ..i would say highly unlikely to be over 7...there is not the room. i me that is really pushing it i would say...there one server, patch in each office x2....and he said whats a supply for the people renting to put their own hub in which didnt make sense, think would be a wireless thing.....

Reply to Been asked to do a office. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net