Discuss Wiring up a barrel washer at a small brewery. in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It looks simplistic in design, I assume it heats up a tank of water and the motor is some kind of pressure pump with the head rotating and flushing out the barrel.
What exactly is it you want to know?

Details would be good here, motor plate details, element size (KW) etc

I would suspect the IP rating of anything involved must meet the conditions of possible jets of pressured water, also I would be considering RCD protection to boot too.

I would also look into commercial waste here, is the waste water expelling direct into the drain system and is that environmentally acceptable?

2.5mm cable on a 20A radial circuit. 20A D/Pswitch for local isolation.

Also the thing is on wheels.
I'd go with commando sockets and not hard wire it, if they want to move it.
Or ask them if it ever gets moved. Get it in writing.

It looks simplistic in design, I assume it heats up a tank of water and the motor is some kind of pressure pump with the head rotating and flushing out the barrel.
What exactly is it you want to know?

Details would be good here, motor plate details, element size (KW) etc

I would suspect the IP rating of anything involved must meet the conditions of possible jets of pressured water, also I would be considering RCD protection to boot too.

I would also look into commercial waste here, is the waste water expelling direct into the drain system and is that environmentally acceptable?
Thanks for the replies so far, as I said no information at all on the equipment. Motor and thermostat/heating element basically. He has been told that it can be wired up as 3 phase 400 V (currently off a 20 A 230 V radial via a commando socket). He needs more heat in the barrels and was told it needs to be converted to 3 phase to achieve this.

He has been told that it can be wired up as 3 phase 400 V (currently off a 20 A 230 V radial via a commando socket). He needs more heat in the barrels and was told it needs to be converted to 3 phase to achieve this.

The immersion heater is 15A 240V, as stated in your pic. Not 3 phase.
The only way your are going to get more heat is to replace this, as @LewisM has said above.

It needs some form of control and monitoring, you have a motor that needs overload protection, as well as an element, you also need to establish how you want it to work, does it have a tank of water? ... does it need to be at temp' before it can be used, lots of questions make that can make this a bit more involved.

Reply to Wiring up a barrel washer at a small brewery. in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net