Discuss Been doing a rewire....... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Afdd's on a social housing job....wow!
Speaking to somebody who does new builds last week, he said that housing associations and councils are insisting on them on new builds around here, i am not generalizing but in one project they built self contained flats for drug addicts going through recovery, when they find out the value of the afdd or spd then wouldn't put it past them to put it up on ebay!

There seems to be a general hint on this thread that social housing tenants are less worthy of a safe electrical installation than more 'upmarket' types. Kind of makes some of us look like tw@ts IMHO.... :)

More the quality of the install and spec of the job being directly proportionate to the budget allowance for said install and spec of the job

There seems to be a general hint on this thread that social housing tenants are less worthy of a safe electrical installation than more 'upmarket' types. Kind of makes some of us look like tw@ts IMHO.... :)
Agree with you Dave but in reality the cynic in me says it’s only being done as an --- covering exercise by those putting together the spec.

That's a bit of an insult to a tw@t really :)

They are ineffective on ring final circuits.
They wont pick up arcing on the ring itself

I think this is pretty misleading. As far as I know, from various manufacturers' info, they work just as well at detecting arcs on rings as on any circuit.

E.g. see Arc Fault Detection Devices - https://www.hager.co.uk/news-exhibitions-case-studies/18th-edition/arc-fault-detection-devices/89766.htm

and http://www.beama.org.uk/asset/0C5A2A43-C78C-40A5-98513C9F6CCB343F/.

What is different about rings is that a broken ring won't necessarily arc at the break, so there's nothing for the AFDD to detect, but also nothing to set fire to the building. On an RFC, an AFDD will detect:

* Series arcs in fittings carrying load (e.g. between the cables and the socket terminal they are in)
* Series arcs in connected plugs and appliances
* Series arcs on spurs
* Parallel arcs everywhere

The only thing they will not detect is a series break that is not interrupting a load due to a parallel connection, because it won't arc significantly or at all. Describing this as 'not working on rings' seems to me like saying that CO2 fire extinguishers don't work on non-flammable materials.

I do social housing...i dont think they're are less worthy. I always do a qaulity job everytime because its obviously a reflection of me, i dont want any repercussions from bodged work. However it does grind my gears when you have to go replace sockets that are hanging off the wall when the fella of the house has had too many beers in him and wants to show hard bruce lee hard he is by smashing up an inanimate object...then they have the nerve to tell us its our responsibility to maintain their house.....

My old Mum (God bless her) used to get really annoyed that she had to scrimp and save for years to be able to afford, say a new kitchen, when council tenants would get it all for free !

Originally, if you were given council housing you considered yourself lucky to have it. These days everyone is 'entitled' to it !

The thing is I've worked in many rented homes that are spotless and occupied by really nice decent people as well as the stereotypical type popular on this thread. I've also worked in the homes of well off 'professionals' [Including senior doctors for example] which are utterly filthy. I never discriminate against people who don't own a home,that's just utter snobbery,and to say they get everything provided for free is generally nonsense, they do pay rent.
And apart from the lucky ones who get a good inheritance I suspect fewer and fewer people will be able to afford their own homes as time goes by, many who can easily afford the mortgage payments [often less than rent] just can't get the ridiculous deposit together that's required now.

Did social housing for a little bit once. Never again... used heroin needles lying around, dog excrement on the carpets and to top it off a colleague was threatened with a knife by a drug crazed tenant. No thanks.

Did social housing for a little bit once. Never again... used heroin needles lying around, dog excrement on the carpets and to top it off a colleague was threatened with a knife by a drug crazed tenant. No thanks.

I've been to private rentals that are worse.
we all know the score, can tell if you want to accept the cup of tea if its offered within 30 seconds of walking in the door.

What is it with doctors houses being filthy?, ive had this more than a few times now

I realise they are super busy but surely they can get a cleaner in

Worrying really!

I do maintenence for a LOT of property management blocks and most have been built within the last 5-8 years, all really nice private rented flats(ok you get the odd nasty, but generally nice)

But each have got a social housing section and they are all the same in every block, throughout essex, dirty dumped sofas and rubbish discarded everywhere, load music blaring at all times, constant smell of weed, groups of mothers outside smoking in their dressing gowns at all times of the day. Nearly every kid has a motor bike or scooter with a broken exhaust which they drive up and down relentlessly, without helmet when im sure they should be in school. Most tenants have a least one dog which is nearly always a staff bull terrier.

If i get a call out for vandalism, 9 times out of 10 thats where its likely to be

I know this is not every tenant, but the general theme is, when some people dont have to work hard for something they dont really respect it. Im far from a snob but its simply the truth. I know, I live it every day.

Last edited:

I read it as they are less likely to have possessions valuable enough to warrant the additional expense.

I don't think that's too ----tish a position to take, I don't think I have possessions valuable enough to warrant an AFDD.

Off on a tangent but if a social tennants did have possessions valuable enough to warrant AFDDs then why do they need social housing?

What is it with doctors houses being filthy?, ive had this more than a few times now

Worrying really!

I do maintenence for a LOT of property management blocks and most have been built within the last 5-8 years, all really nice private rented flats(ok you get the odd nasty, but generally nice)

But each have got a social housing section and they are all the same in every block, throughout essex, dirty dumped sofas and rubbish discarded everywhere, load music blaring at all times, constant smell of weed, groups of mothers outside smoking in their dressing gowns at all times of the day. Nearly every kid has a motor bike or scooter with a broken exhaust which they drive up and down relentlessly, without helmet when im sure they should be in school. Most tenants have a least one dog which is nearly always a staff bull terrier.

If i get a call out for vandalism, 9 times out of 10 thats where its likely to be

I know this is not every tenant, but the general theme is, when some people dont have to work hard for something they dont really respect it. Im far from a snob but its simply the truth. I know, I live it every day.

In fairness I agree with you there mate, you put it very well. I don't see as much of the really bad stuff here in Cornwall so I guess I'm lucky.
Your point about people not looking after things nowadays seems to be a common theme with many many people now. The number of new and nearly new cars I see that don't seem to have ever been washed for example is an eye opener. Have people become lazier or just too busy browsing tw@tbook to actually do anything else ?:)

Worrying really!

I've worked in some delightful places in London that have some of the most atypical social housing known to man, or woman...

Dog waste smeared on door handles, razor blades glued to handrails and dirty syringe needles snapped off in switches.

Reply to Been doing a rewire....... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net