Discuss Being registered............. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just thinking aloud.

Retirement is a long way off, but when it does happen I may well carry on doing smaller jobs once or twice a week. I don't think I would stay registered, but I may end up doing the odd CU change, or lets say I was even on a job where a building inspector was involved.

Now, I could still issue a certificate. All the building inspector wants is the certificate, then he/she signs the job off. With a CU change I could still issue a certificate, thus when the customer sells their house they have the required paperwork and will not find themselves in trouble.

Apart from this being morally wrong and also breaking the BS7671 rules, is there anyway the customer could find themselves out of pocket or having problems (as they will have a certificate)? Who actually checks to see if the job has been notified, what is it used for?

I must add that I am fully registered and do everything by the book. Just having a lazy Sunday and thinking to the distant future, when I may not even do enough notifiable jobs to be allowed to stay registered.

Gas Fitters will have the same issue when they drop out of GasSafe ?

The gas fitter that changed my parents boiler a few years ago (old family friend is his 70s) issued a sum total of 0 paperwork

Think about something else plus it is Saturday.
One day off isn't too bad 😄

Yep, I've moved on from my retirement thoughts now. Mowing the lawn and cleaning the house. Christ, this is turning into one of those really boring facebook pages where you detail your life rather than live it!!

One day off isn't too bad 😄

Yep, I've moved on from my retirement thoughts now. Mowing the lawn and cleaning the house. Christ, this is turning into one of those really boring facebook pages where you detail your life rather than live it!!
This is my idea of cleaning the house!

giphy.gif

Retired as I am, I have constant calls on my time for small jobs.
HHD, you will always be busy, but also free to turn down stuff too.
My diary is full with fitting smokes to the new Scottish regs, and it's boring AF...especially with the poor supply chain, and I have stopped taking new orders now for that reason.
Yesterday I took out a poorly fitted light fitting in a wardrobe, replaced it, got 2 bottles of a decent Rioja for my trouble...so £20 worth for 20 minutes' worth of time, and it was my next-door neighbour so no travelling or lugging tools. I appreciate retirement is a while away, but don't fear it, just embrace it!
As @telectrix said..."one life"!

My dad retired around 2015 after spending 50 years in the trade , turned 80 last year and his happier than ever,]
No stress , no part pee , no scam fees or site inspections , no travelling to and from London

He has more money than he could spend in the next 50 years so literally now does what he wants when he wants to

Retired from a Scheme some 4 years ago now. Did some alterations in my house, which included adding one CU & altering another.

Before I started, and as the building refurb was under a Building Notice, I spoke with my BC. I could document my qualifications, and could provide my last Scheme assessment to carry out the electrical work myself & provide certification. Just needed signing off in the Completion Certificate.

My BC started off quite happy to accept this, however when push came to shove they wanted me to provide an EICR for the new work. I did try one third party installer, but they weren't interested. In the end I got someone in to do the work and sign it off. Crazy, but say la vie.

Before I retired, I had quite a few customers requesting copies of EIC's, Minor Works, and how they could get copies of compliance certificates, all for house sales.

@HappyHippyDad, I'd think of a different retirement plan.

Retired from a Scheme some 4 years ago now. Did some alterations in my house, which included adding one CU & altering another.

Before I started, and as the building refurb was under a Building Notice, I spoke with my BC. I could document my qualifications, and could provide my last Scheme assessment to carry out the electrical work myself & provide certification. Just needed signing off in the Completion Certificate.

My BC started off quite happy to accept this, however when push came to shove they wanted me to provide an EICR for the new work. I did try one third party installer, but they weren't interested. In the end I got someone in to do the work and sign it off. Crazy, but say la vie.

Before I retired, I had quite a few customers requesting copies of EIC's, Minor Works, and how they could get copies of compliance certificates, all for house sales.

@HappyHippyDad, I'd think of a different retirement plan.
This was my original point. Building control would be the one signing off the job at your property and all they would have wanted is to have a completed EIC. They would then sign off the work.

Of course, you could have just completed an EICR?

It does push you towards the @telectrix way of doing it though doesn't it. Just do the CU change (correctly and safely), issue EIC and move on, bypassing building control.

This was my original point. Building control would be the one signing off the job at your property and all they would have wanted is to have a completed EIC. They would then sign off the work.

Of course, you could have just completed an EICR?

It does push you towards the @telectrix way of doing it though doesn't it. Just do the CU change (correctly and safely), issue EIC and move on, bypassing building control.
I think your find that very few BC's have the wherewithal to sign off electrical work; they don't want the responsivity.

And its all well & good doing some notifiable work, then leaving the owner of the property to sort out compliance. I don't think thats right personally.

IMO there are two very different situations, doing payed work for Joe public and doing your own work in your own property.
Some would do the work regardless of being in a CPS. I might be a bit twitchy at the first, but not the second.

when we purchased out current 3 bed-semi 6 years ago , there was no paperwork for the single storey rear extension

£65 for an indem policy at the advice of the solicitor and job done

I think your find that very few BC's have the wherewithal to sign off electrical work; they don't want the responsivity.
That's been my experience with my local BC. They told me to just get an EICR from a registered spark when I asked what it would cost to have them inspect my work.

I'm not registered and most of the electrical work I do is maintenance on one big installation, the majority of which is not notifiable. When I do the odd job for friends and family like board changes or other notifiable domestic work, I still do all the initial verification/testing and prepare an EIC before getting a CPS registered spark that I know in to do me an EICR for BC.

I had around 12 - 18 years when I didn't bother to re new my CPS scam membership , and during this time I did a couple notifiable jobs. My local BC was happy to accept an EICR in order to comply.
Not strictly correct but my local inspector seemed happy with an EICR,

I guess my original question was ... How can the homeowner get in trouble if they have the correct certificates?

They come to sell the house and have all the required EIC's and MEIWC's. That is what will be asked for. How can they get into trouble? The work will not have been notified, but they have the certificates. I cant imagine any solicitor is contacting the building authorities at the time of sale to cross match all the certificates given to make sure the work was notified.

I have no intention of doing this at the moment or for the foreseeable future. Even when I retire i doubt I doubt I shall ever be in that situation. it just popped into mind and I thought i'd ask.

Any missing paperwork , warranties and certificates like Fensa or GasSafe and the buyer will be required to purchase an indemnity policy to cover for the missing paperwork from the solicitors

Had this on 3 occasions when we have purchased houses

A homeowner / seller would get into Zero 'trouble' for either losing the paperwork or not having it in the first place

The only time a homeowner may get into trouble 'after the fact' is if an extension was built with no planning permission

I guess my original question was ... How can the homeowner get in trouble if they have the correct certificates?

They come to sell the house and have all the required EIC's and MEIWC's. That is what will be asked for. How can they get into trouble? The work will not have been notified, but they have the certificates. I cant imagine any solicitor is contacting the building authorities at the time of sale to cross match all the certificates given to make sure the work was notified.

I have no intention of doing this at the moment or for the foreseeable future. Even when I retire i doubt I doubt I shall ever be in that situation. it just popped into mind and I thought i'd ask.
The home owner has the ultimate responsibility that Building Regs are complied with, not the contractor.

We sold our house in 2018. There's a signed legal document, which amongst other things, asks if you've had any electrical work carried out on the property since 2005. If so it asks you to provide certification, which includes compliance certificate if applicable. The home owner can of course lie, but it is a signed legal document.

If notification is not carried out, thats none compliance with Building Regs, which may put off prospective buyers, it might not. As some said, you can buy Indemnity Insurance in such cases. However, Indemnity Insurance, only covers you from legal action from a Building Control, it doesn't actually cover you from putting things right. There is a time limit on prosecution by BC, I believe.

Building Regs are Statutory, and can result in a criminal prosecution, if they are not complied with. Are there many public cases of BC taking people to Court for non compliance with Part P? I've not heard of any. But it is the law, any with anything such as, break it and you have to face the consequences. As said, not a good business model.

Reply to Being registered............. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net