Discuss Being self employed and the coronavirus in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I applied for UC a couple weeks ago... they took details of my wife and I's savings, and everything we have in the bank.... We fall into the "between 6 and 16k category"
2 kids, and the 3rd, the 19 year doesn't count...although she is living with us since her uni closed (shes got her student loan anyway that she hasn't spent yet)

My wife gets her 80% furlough from her part time job.
We will be told May 14th how much we are getting, to be paid by the 19th.
Our savings are depleting fast. Will I need to tell them on the online system how much we are spending weekly, as they want to know how much income we might be making.. (my wifes pay, and any work I do.)

Is UC different to the original plans that were made for SE, that should be coming in June?

I applied for UC a couple weeks ago... they took details of my wife and I's savings, and everything we have in the bank.... We fall into the "between 6 and 16k category"
2 kids, and the 3rd, the 19 year doesn't count...although she is living with us since her uni closed (shes got her student loan anyway that she hasn't spent yet)

My wife gets her 80% furlough from her part time job.
We will be told May 14th how much we are getting, to be paid by the 19th.
Our savings are depleting fast. Will I need to tell them on the online system how much we are spending weekly, as they want to know how much income we might be making.. (my wifes pay, and any work I do.)

Is UC different to the original plans that were made for SE, that should be coming in June?

Yes universal credit is just the latest name for unemployment benefit or the dole.
The other tenant in my house has been receiving it for the last couple of months as she was unemployed, they received their share of our rent (50% of our total rent) plus a monthly personal allowance.
They started work in the middle of last month so only got paid a small advance, this was deducted from their total UC payment and they received the difference.

You don't tell them how much you spend per week, you only give them your housing costs. You get a set amount as the personal allowance portion of it.

Yes it's different to the self employment 80% scheme and you will have to declare that income from the 80% scheme on your UC account

They don't ask for it back, they take it back out of future payments.
So... you agree to repay it over the next 12 months (repaid as a deduction from your future benefit). Then... after 2 months, you stop claiming (so don't have any benefit for the repayments to come out of). 10 months of repayments become outstanding. Then what ??

I think if they sent the 'heavies' round... it would be all over the papers !!

• Housing Benefit.
  • Child Tax Credit.
  • Income Support.
  • Working Tax Credit.
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
Above is the full list of legacy benefits that UC replaces, as you can see its somewhat more than unemployment benefit . In fact the important point is that you can receive UC and be in work, albeit on low income.

If anyone is in the 6K-16K category then you receive a proportion based on the actual savings, as these savings get depleted keep updating your journal to get a recalculation done.
Hope this helps

Reply to Being self employed and the coronavirus in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net