Discuss Bending 90 in 20mm or25mm conduit in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sam80

Please can some one help me please haven't done steel conduit for a while. What's the best way to get a 90 bend at the right length 1st time???

expensive! tbh i concentrate on getting the bend right, making the length over sized then offer up to wall or whatever and trim and thread. much easier than spending time calculating distance from back of bend to some mark on the former.

I’m with telectrix on that one, the time spent trying to save a few inches of tube is not time well spent.
I don’t care how good you are you will be a bit over length (if your lucky), or short and then it’s a case of do you save it and hope you can find a use for it or scrap it!

There is a calculation using the center line radius of the bend, but as stated above by the time the calculations have been made the job would have been done. Your time is more important than a few off cuts. Although i suppose its good to know especially when you get to some more elaborate bends.

Regards Chris

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh the graveyard of demised conduit bends ....................remember well having to hide the detris of attempted bends from the sparks as a rollicking often was followed by

"We can make use of them son, running nipples, I'll tell you when we have enough."

Take a fixed length, say it 300 mm from fitting to a corner. Mark the 300 mm on the conduit, place the conduit parallel in the former, take a square and line the mark on the conduit up with the back edge of the former and bend. This will give you a length from a fixed point to back of the bend of 300 mm.

once or twice and youl have it bang on, but as said its a time thing and would be good if you could get few lengths and practice, then its easy.

last time i done conduit work it was on a curved wall and at a height, so had to be formed on ground, NIGHTMARE!!! TOOK AGES

Use a set square to line up your measured mark with the front of the former and you will get a perfect measured 90 bend. Ofcourse if your using a full length of conduit you can't do as it hits the floor when bending so take 50mm off the measure if using 20mm tube and put the tube in vice other way round and line up again and bend.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

ok, so what is the etched mark near the end of the former for?

It would take too many words to accurately explain. I was not being flippant when I said get some conduit and practice. Use some off cuts or something. Basically you can either use a set square off the edge of the former. or you can use the etched marks. The rest you'll have to work out. You'll have it nailed after about 5-10 bends. Remember you can bend up as well as down. When bending up you'll have to use the set square.

If you don't have a set square use a small cutting if conduit held vertically in the former against the mark where the back of the bend will be and judge the right angle of the two conduits with your eye, then bend. This is how I've done it for years and without boasting I get a perfect bend every time, bang on to the mark. It's a lot simpler and you don't need to rely on having a set square to hand. And as the boys have said, if the conduit is too long for normal bending then turn the dog up side down and bend upwards.

put ur conduit in the bottom of the former and push it in as far as you can until ur index finger gets stuck in the former. Then bend the conduit up(making sure it is ur measure you are bending up and not the excess) and that should ensure you get the correct size first time. That is your size to the back of the bend

and after the paramedics have removed the former and conduit from yourcrushed finger.............

i haven't bent conduit for a good 18 months, such has been the need, or not as the case has been. Every time I get put on it, I mess up a couple of bends, over or under, but cut off the bend and start again or cut and thread if too long.

I would like to make the point here, perhaps I'm getting senile, But I can't honestly recollect the EXACT method for doing it without a former and a length of conduit in front of me.

You measure the distance from the back of the bend to the end of the pipe, then put it in the former, aligning with a set square, unless you use the mark, then you deduct, or add 50mm (can't remember) or if you turn the tube around you do the opposite, lalalalala

Look. When it comes to it, I am the bull locks at doing it (it all comes back when you get the materials and tools in front of you -it makes sense when you're looking at it). but on here??

The only thing that makes sense is going to get another beer from the fridge.

I didn't learn bending tube from a forum. i learnt it in site..

AND SO SHOULD YOU YOU LAZY GIT.

GET SOME TUBE AND GET BENDING.

WHEN YOU WORK IT OUT, YOU CAN PAT YOURSELF ON THE BACK.

GOOD LUCK/

The secret to a good conduit 90 is to make sure that the saddles on the ceiling/wall are well fixed, as I can count on 1 hand the amount of walls/ceilings that are actually 90 degrees, so often you end up with a lovely springy piece of conduit that fitted with the apprentice pushing up on it with a broom while you tapped the saddles on with a hammer.

Reply to Bending 90 in 20mm or25mm conduit in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock