Discuss Best advise for new installation of LED floodlight in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Daniel Morgan

Hill hope you can help. Need some advise or advise me on how to install a PIR LED floodlight as a new installation. We are wanting one fitted directly above the garage door to emit light onto our driveway but only come on when someone walks to the house or goes out to their car on a night. Started using LED light and find their much brighter and use much less power and maintenance free.

Currently their is no existing floodlight here for me to swap over with existing wiring. I'm not an electrician but 2 years ago qualified as a domestic installer along with a few months onsite experience so don't feel concerned tackling this job myself.

I want to run the feed from within the garage out to the outside of the garage to hide as much wiring as possible from the front of the house. As I can see the only real feed I can access from which will give it permanent feed and not interrupted by a switch is from a double plug socket.

My idea is to run some 1.5mm twin and earth from the double socket up to the light itself. My concern or thoughts are for the amount of power the LED floodlight will be drawing will 1.5mm be rated for this install and would I have to run a inline fuse inbetween the double socket and the wiring to the light to protect the cable? This is the light I'm going to use:

Timeguard LEDX20PIRB 20W LED Floodlight with PIR | Electricbase - http://www.electricbase.co.uk/timeguard-ledx20pirb-20w-led-1020-1712283

Thanks for your help on this matter

Is the garage circuit protected by a RCD?
Use 2.5mm to wire to a FCU and then wire the light in 1.5mm. Cable type depends on installation route.
What does the manual say?

As Spoon says, but I am suprised that you are a DI and need to ask about this. Particularly this
My idea is to run some 1.5mm twin and earth from the double socket up to the light itself.
1mm cable would be plenty but surely you know that 1.5mm cable is not man enough to run as an unprotected spur directly from a socket?. You should have an FCU in line to limit the maximum current, in any case, an isolation switch for the light would be handy.
My concern or thoughts are for the amount of power the LED floodlight will be drawing will 1.5mm be rated for this install
I don't want to be picky, but you are a testament to the high standards that the domestic installer qualification demands:rolleyes:
That floodlight is rated as 20watt. Surely you can remember your basic ohm's law? Work out how much (or little) current a 20watt lamp needs. Have a look in your regs book, and look at the current carrying capacity of 1.5mm T&E.

Apologies for the dig.

I was going to mention that someone who is qualified as a Domestic Installer should know this. I am curious what they teach in these courses... Don't want to come across as a whinger cause I'm happy. We have cake at work... :) (One of the guys birthdays)

Thanks guys yes I admit my knowledge has become ropy since qualifying and not done much electrical work since, if you don't o something for a while you loose it. I was going to use 1.5mm as it is ideal in case a higher wattage light gets fitted in the future or to run off and power a second light. I would admit the course was pretty shocking they cram a lot of information within a month. I did the course as at the time I was applying for an installers position that required this for the job. however would also become useful for own jobs around the home and to feel more confident on working on small to medium electrical jobs around the house. However should have kept up with it and not leave it so long :(

So is your garage circuit RCD protected?

1. isolate socket circuit . test for dead at socket.

2. fit a 5A FCU next to socket.

3. 1.0mm T/E to wiska box on the outside ( back entry so no T/E showing outside.

4. LED floods come with pre-wired flex so connect that into the wiska box T/E using lever wagos.

5. re=energise circuit and hope it works.

Best advise for new installation of LED floodlight 57f51ea0daa60_Cheesygrin - EletriciansForums.net

Like the reply Telectrix. I recently replaced two older outside floods with LEDs pretty much as you describe. Are wagons better than the older brass and plastic connector blocks that I used? Additionally I looped the lead from the flood into the bottom of the whiska box on the basis that no water is likely to run in from a top entry even with the rubber grommet thingy. What's the best way of securing the cable to brickwork? I hate those hammer in plastic clips.

Is there not a lighting circuit in the Garage? No idea why have put a post in the whole Domestic Installer business depresses me.

1. isolate socket circuit . test for dead at socket.

2. fit a 5A FCU next to socket.

3. 1.0mm T/E to wiska box on the outside ( back entry so no T/E showing outside.

4. LED floods come with pre-wired flex so connect that into the wiska box T/E using lever wagos.

5. re=energise circuit and hope it works.

View attachment 33801

Thanks so much for the guide that's all I was asking for to ensure this is the correct procedure to doing it correctly as I said earlier my electrical knowledge since qualifying was ropy

So there is a lighting circuit in the garage.

Why not connect it from the lighting circuit, why connect from the socket.

Reply to Best advise for new installation of LED floodlight in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock