Discuss best buy quality 12 way 17th edition consumer unit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

harry olee

Tool station seem to have a good range of consumer units at good prices on MK and Wylex but they don't do the size I need, is there an even better source online with keener prices?. One of their brands (Toolstation) in 12 way is CED which I have not seen before what are they like for quality? another is Schneider, which I suppose is German are they any good? I want a quality product which is robust, that will not cause me problems with terminations etc or anything else.

You can buy cheaper on the internet, However when you install it in a customers house and find the RCD'S or main incomer is faulty its a right pain in the bum. Speak to you local wholesaler and if your putting a lot of business there way then they may be able to give you a little discount.

I tend you use Wylex. All sparks have there preference.. Installed a BG one the other day that I picked up for £50 from B&Q.. Never Ever Again....

what's wrong with BG? i like the BG boards. plenty of room and hi=integrity if you need non-RCD ways. screwfix do a 13 way at £60. loaded.

I like BG too, are using them a lot these days and wylex do a 7 and 7 split which would do the JOB, I suppose though your on a budget?

Quite like the BG ones myself. Decent range available from Electrixfix. I still like Hager for the high end domestic jobs. MK seem to have really gone downhill over the years.

Dont know what it is just not a fan of them, Defiantly one of the cheaper boards on the market but I prefer Wylex.. Just my preference in all fairness look that little bit better also.

Wylex. Crap IMO. RCD's are pony. Returned plenty of them failing RCD tests straight from the box.

Really, I must be in luck in that case.. If I find that I start getting duff ones ill change to another make..

Come to think of it was at a call out Friday night and there 3 month old Wylex main 100a incomer was faulty.. Another than that no problems..

Did a kitchen refurb project last year where they specified Wylex boards. Out of nearly 200 boards i must of had at least 40 duff RCD's. My local wholesaler stopped stocking them as apparently they had other customers returning dodgy stock. They even recalled their 6A MCB's a couple of years back coz of internal defects. Cheap and nasty kit really.

Did a kitchen refurb project last year where they specified Wylex boards. Out of nearly 200 boards i must of had at least 40 duff RCD's. My local wholesaler stopped stocking them as apparently they had other customers returning dodgy stock. They even recalled their 6A MCB's a couple of years back coz of internal defects. Cheap and nasty kit really.

Thats quite worrying in all fairness.. Maybe time to look elsewhere.. Not even the cheapest on the market..

- - - Updated - - -

Thats quite worrying in all fairness.. Maybe time to look elsewhere.. Not even the cheapest on the market..

That and the wylex boards look like crap, not exactly cheap and horrible to work with if you want to run a new circuit into it in the future....Just my opinion of course :lol:

Have had no problems with MK or Contactum/BG, have also used a few of the control gear boards recently and found them to be better than expected.

Tool station seem to have a good range of consumer units at good prices on MK and Wylex but they don't do the size I need, is there an even better source online with keener prices?. One of their brands (Toolstation) in 12 way is CED which I have not seen before what are they like for quality? another is Schneider, which I suppose is German are they any good? I want a quality product which is robust, that will not cause me problems with terminations etc or anything else.

Any opinions or experiences with Schneider consumer units would be appreciated ?

Wylex, proteus, mk, volex, vytec, contactum..........No thanks!

Hager all day long, if not then crabtree, however the 80A RCD's in the crabtree boards are a Achilles heel

Domestic Schneider boards are just rebadged square d. They still do the range with the fixed busbar with plug in mcbs too.

Schneider gear is excellent, we use loads of their three phase boards in schools, for councils, factories etc..

I really like contactum metal units, proper bit of kit not some plastic crap.
when looking for something cheap then CED is not thad bad, has internal connections made of solid wire not stranded, looks tidy. blastic din rail in them unfortunately.

Reply to best buy quality 12 way 17th edition consumer unit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net