Discuss Best Customer Tip Ever! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Paul.M

-
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Me and a really good friend went to off to quote for a cctv install for "a pub". Turned up and saw the size of the place, 16 camera's!!! It is a pub and a hotel with conference rooms, it also needs an EICR, fire alarm cert, EM cert and a few remedial repairs plus data network install. Not bad, thought it was just going to be a bog standards 4 camera set up but this has turned into a monster!

Anyway, the new owners whilst walking around on the quote asked if I wanted the piano? It is in good condition and I have always wanted to learn how to play so I said yes (without the approval from Mrs. M.... Thats another story). This is the strangest tip/gift I have ever had from a customer. Got me thinking, What is yours?

20150213_160612.jpg

Total bonus ! Well done .... I'll be surprised if you don't get a few freebies from behind the bar out of this one too.

I have had plenty of financial tips and that means a lot to me, a gesture that shows appreciation. I think the best tip I have had though was a hot buttered scone straight out the oven, to take back to the cold van. Sometimes it's the little things you remember most.

This pub has been closed for a while so no beer, shame really. Done a lot of work for pubs/clubs in the past few years and I've been given loads of freebies. Best was a couple of years ago and the manager gave me a ÂŁ25 bottle of beer, yes beer!

One that sticks in my mind is from 20 years ago, house rewire and the owner made us fried chops with onions gravy and mash potato every day for 3 days. His son owned the local butchers lol.

Working very late for a domestic customer on my wifes birthday.

Asked me to make sure my invoice reflected this.

He also gave me a rather nice bottle of champagne as an apology from him to the wife. :)

GS I'm already looking on youtube for lessons. Speed will come with time, I'll start off with chop sticks for now.

Next problem is how the hell are we going to get it into the house?

When I was playing in the band we had a piano player who would only play a piano like that one. It was a bloody nightmare trucking it around - especially when we had to hump it up 4 flights of outdoor steel fire escape in the middle of winter with snow and ice on the stairs!!

Then your next problem will be you'll have to get a flat cap and learn how to sing with a Cockney accent!

pmsl, I'm more of a Mozart, Beethoven and Chopin type of chap with a bit of modern day covers thrown in. Give it a coupe of years and I'll be able to play the basics lol.

pmsl, I'm more of a Mozart, Beethoven and Chopin type of chap with a bit of modern day covers thrown in. Give it a coupe of years and I'll be able to play the basics lol.

My mate can do a wicked concerto on the old Joanna when he gets back from the pub sometimes.
F- knows what it would sound like in the morning though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was playing in the band we had a piano player who would only play a piano like that one. It was a bloody nightmare trucking it around - especially when we had to hump it up 4 flights of outdoor steel fire escape in the middle of winter with snow and ice on the stairs!!

There's lucky I am.
I happened to see the video of you preparing for that gig.

[video=youtube;ayUjkSvdrug]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayUjkSvdrug[/video]

not really a tip but spent a week working in a house and was cooked the most wonderfull vegetable curries and chapati's for lunch every day, tried my best to make the job last longer.

It will be more like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgzEBLa3PPk

PG Tips advert from the 70's, remember that one as a kid.

We've done quite a lot of work at Twycross zoo....where the chimps were based. It really is fascinating learning about Molly, who trained them and founded the zoo. A shame really, that it harmed the chimps, who lived a basically human sort of life and couldn't adapt back to being 'chimps'. All sorts of primates at the zoo....one job was right at the side of an open area for gorillas....where Glen and Mike were holed up :yesnod:

This is one of the gorillas at twycross which I took a fair few years back now, Magnificent things to watch.

Attachments

• 22178_1069914804926_1053941_n.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 54
We do a lot of work for Rockstar North who make the grand theft auto games. GTA 5 came out one of the days I was working in there and I got a free copy for the PS3! Result. Also all there vending machines are free so was told to help myself whenever I'm on site.

Reply to Best Customer Tip Ever! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net