Discuss Best drill bits for metal and stainless steel? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

With drills you get what you pay for if you want good life for Stainlessd Steel, you need the correct grade along with a suitable helix & point angle.
This will be diferent for mild steel also.
You can get solid tungsten carbide if you want to spend the money!!!

Seconding lenny, I use dewalt xtreme metal bits (on his advice) and they are the mutt's. Watch they don't bite ya, cos they sharp and they stay sharp!

There not that hard to resharpen with a 4 1/2" grinder or bench grinder, you can choose your cutting angle for different materials. Had the same drill bits for years!

Pihranna cobalts for stainless steel they have a pilot point built in their HSS arent bad either other than that Dewalt Extreme watch big orange shed n screwitup for special offers

I have a set of Erbauer titanium from Screwfix (I would link, but don't want to incur the wrath of the mods).

It is vital to lubricate any drill bit when drilling metal. You can buy proper cutting oil, but any lube will do, a drop of 3in1 or WD40. It keeps the tip cool too and prevents the sharp edges burning out.

On hard to drill materials like stainless and tungsten steels its best done with a drill press or pillar drill (hand held drilling is more likely to wear or break drill the bits) with the work piece firmly clamped.
Matching the rotational speed and feed to size of bit and the material to be drilled is equally important as most drill wear is caused by excessive speed and/or feed.
A quality cutting lubricant (Rocol RTD is the industry standard) is required to reduce cutting edge friction and to aid cooling.
WD40 is OK as an emergency cooling agent but its thin film has very poor anti-friction properties for this task.
When using standard HSS jobber twist drills it is important to mark the centre point with a punch to stop drill wander, then drill a lead-in for the twist drill with a Slocombe centre drill of the appropriate size, followed by the twist drill in the normal way.

Last edited by a moderator:
HSS will work fine if your drilling properly and at the correct speed with a lubricant but i would prefer cobalt (at a much slower speed with eye protection, trust me), don,t know how accurate you need to be, but it is impossible to manually sharpen drill bits at the correct angle to maintain accuracy.

Dewalt bits are my preference, never had any issues with them.

I have always gone for Dewalt too, recently tried 'HARD Drill Bits' got them online with the cutting paste they sell and would be happy to recommend them, they were not cheap but am happy with them.

i been using cobalt drill bits from toolstation, not that expensive. always spraying some wd40 on them when drilling in hard materials.

Just sharpen them to the right point for the material, no use trying to drill through stainless with a bit which been ground for plastic.

With practice you can sharpen drill bits accurately by hand, the same as any cutting edge can be.

i use cobalt bits and they're fantastic.
for my older cheaper ones, I sharpen on my bench grinder when need be

I throw them away when done.. But don't buy from electric shop, good engineering counter ...,

lift engineers always have good bits..

Hello, There i used carbide drill bit,mining drill bit,twisted drill bits. And one more i want to tell you all one of wood working carbide drill. I hope information is useful for you.

Reply to Best drill bits for metal and stainless steel? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock