Discuss Best eco system to monitor grid & solar? also Smart meter not available at my property! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bignose2

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
Similar'ish question to my other thread but little more info now so a different approach but sorry if duplication.

UK, single phase.
Just had 3.6kw (4.6wk panels) Solis grid tie inverter, no batteries, installed.

This inverter just shows solar output. Can get via App & Solis cloud but that's about it.
Keen to monitor grid in & out & solar generation all in one App / data logging.

DNO Meter not within (easy) cable reach of the CU. If the absolute bestest option was to have cable from meter to CU I would consider.

I assume I need
1 CT clamp on either meter tails or main supply inside the CU
1 CT Clamp on the solar in the CU, T&E comes from inverter so think this is only place just the + or - is exposed

How & where would it detect perhaps reverse flow or does it calculate generation - grid draw or visa versa?

What would be a good system to install with good reporting.

1) MyEnergi
My favourate I think but without the Eddi (see below) or car charger perhaps a little overkill but by nature seems a very good reporting system
I think the grid CT can be on the meter tail wirelessly which is good, do I simply have another CT into the CU & onto the solar cable?
Harvi & Hub needed & extra CT ?

2) Emporia looks pretty good, would be even better if the UK had the smart plugs
All CT's goes in the CU, limited space but might be the case with all systems although I think the MyEnergi can have or does have a Wifi CT clamp that can go on the meter tails (I have more room in meter box but no cable access from meter to CU without chasing in the wall!)

3) Efergi Pro
little info on this.

or other options

Onto my second point.
Was hoping to use SEG, I know poor value but better than nothing when no battery but seems not an option.
My meter already has the ability to send SMS & report readings etc. (although of course no signal here so does not) digital with quite a lot of info on pressing the button, but I guess not smart enough
DNO tells me that my property cannot have smart meter at this time & was very vague as to when & sound even like if, I could have.
They said the problem was at their end.
.. Which make me reconsider Eddi a little, I still think never going to get ROI (I know not the full point but still have to be close) but like to get something from my excess during the day so at least with this system would be ready. Shame they don't do smart plugs, that seems like a great idea although guess power generated power fluctuations could be a real problem.

I know ofgen www says DNO really must asap but I suspect they can do at their leisure, years!

I had emailed them before install to ask what the situations was & just gave the info of where to apply & the forms to fill out, I gave all my address & account details but they neglected then to tell me that in fact I could not get it if I wanted!!

Sorry, another rather long post.

thanks I/A

Reply to Best eco system to monitor grid & solar? also Smart meter not available at my property! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net