Discuss Best first step to remedy bypassed domestic RCD box? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jay21

-
Reaction score
Moved into 60's semi and had work done to renew kitchen, including new induction hob, cooker etc.
3 qualified electricians came to quote and each mentioned that someone had bypassed one of the RCDs (?) in the main box (Branded GET/Schupa), so that circuits to the right of the attached photo are not protected. (marked by yellow arrow)
All wanted to do full PAT and replace box before actually attaching new applicances, which may be fair enough.
But what I don't get is why nobody as yet has suggested simply reinstating the bypassed circuit - and seeing if it trips now that the old appliances (including an old Belling cooker) have been replaced by new ones.
That way I might be able to continue with existing box temporarily (as funds are limited due to having had to do various other works in house).Best first step to remedy bypassed domestic RCD box? Bypass - EletriciansForums.net
Any thoughts? Thanks.

oh dear ,looks you will have to pay the three sparks to sort it out for you .
sod that. he just needs to get a spark with a brain. i'll fix that . no problem. sensible cost.

Obviously circuit problems so ask one of the electricians to investigate....with a cost per hour. As regards Portable Appliance Testing....are you meaning EICR, ie. a full installation condition report?

Moved into 60's semi and had work done to renew kitchen, including new induction hob, cooker etc.
3 qualified electricians came to quote and each mentioned that someone had bypassed one of the RCDs (?) in the main box (Branded GET/Schupa), so that circuits to the right of the attached photo are not protected. (marked by yellow arrow)
All wanted to do full PAT and replace box before actually attaching new applicances, which may be fair enough.
But what I don't get is why nobody as yet has suggested simply reinstating the bypassed circuit - and seeing if it trips now that the old appliances (including an old Belling cooker) have been replaced by new ones.
That way I might be able to continue with existing box temporarily (as funds are limited due to having had to do various other works in house).View attachment 47864
Any thoughts? Thanks.

Hi - the reason this sort of thing is done is to cover up a fault . It does need fixing ...

can't pm him. his profile does not have the option. strange he gone offline within 20 mins of OP.

Obviously circuit problems so ask one of the electricians to investigate....with a cost per hour. As regards Portable Appliance Testing....are you meaning EICR, ie. a full installation condition report?
Not sure, but £300 seems to be the going rate - then £200 to get the box changed

can't pm him. his profile does not have the option. strange he gone offline within 20 mins of OP.
Yeah, a lot on today. Just wondering why nobody seems to be able to answer the original question i.e. if the RCD has been bypassed, why not connect it up again and test that circuit?? - given the old cooker which might have been the reason for the bypassing (by previous electrician) has now been replaced.
If that solves, a lot less than £500...

hmmm.before splashing out that sort of dosh. first thing is to get the fault sorted. then it's time to decide if you want to upgrade the board when there's no legal obligation to do so.

Yeah, a lot on today. Just wondering why nobody seems to be able to answer the original question i.e. if the RCD has been bypassed, why not connect it up again and test that circuit?? - given the old cooker which might have been the reason for the bypassing (by previous electrician) has now been replaced.
If that solves, a lot less than £500...
see post #15

BTW, just to let you know if you look at your Facebook page and click on the website link, it goes off to some American site in Connecticut. HTH.
hmmm.before splashing out that sort of dosh. first thing is to get the fault sorted. then it's time to decide if you want to upgrade the board when there's no legal obligation to do so.
Yeah, that's what I thought but unfortunately the last three 'free quotes' only resulted in the £500 route. Hence me asking about the bypass reversal here.

Is there anything Legal involved? as BS 7671 is NOT a legal document, only an advisory one.

Reply to Best first step to remedy bypassed domestic RCD box? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock