Discuss Best first step to remedy bypassed domestic RCD box? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

This would not be a sensible option as the RCD may not trip straight away, if an electrician was to reconnect the RCD and leave it at that then you may find that it trips a couple of hours later and causes you some problems.

The sensible approach in my opinion would be to test the circuits and test the RCD itself before reconnecting it (if all tests show positive results).
I think I'd live with the RCD maybe tripping and having to call the spark back. That way, if it did not trip, it seems I save £300 on a potentially unnecessary test (though obviously if the RCD does trip, a test is clearly necessary). Thanks.

Does the cooker switch have a plug socket on it?
(Late answer due to being away). Yes, a single 3 pin socket and rocker switch for cooker. As it happens, this is the one new appliance that is working - the original not so great spark sent in by the plumber said he could wire this up as it was an existing circuit (replacing the old Belling electric cooker).

I think I'd live with the RCD maybe tripping and having to call the spark back. That way, if it did not trip, it seems I save £300 on a potentially unnecessary test (though obviously if the RCD does trip, a test is clearly necessary). Thanks.

The test required to check for the main cause of RCD tripping (insulation resistance test) would takearound 10 mins to perform (and even less time if you unplugged everything first). You could have that done, an earth loop test on each circuit and the RCD re instated within an hour, 2 tops, if all the tests were good. So theres a good chance you wouldnt have to pay any more than the minumimum call out fee to have it tested and reinstated.

I imadgine most people would advise having some more in depth testing carried out as you dont know the history of the instalation, and if someone has carried out that modification who knows what else they have done!

Where do you get £300 from? Basic tests of the circuits and the RCD won't take long.
I'm not suggesting a full EICR with associated paperwork etc, just basic tests to establish the state of play.

Thanks for that Shaun, very clear. Every spark who I've had so far has just made out that the first step is a £300 test, plus likely £200 CU... and no doubt one or two would find it necessary to rewire the house if not demolish it altogether and do a new build!
A shame, these qualified but greedy types are making it harder for the decent sparks out there. Neighbours of mine who sensibly thought about a rewire before doing extensive redecorations and plastering gave up after receiving 4 over-the-top quotes and just went ahead with the decorating instead.
The trick seems to be working your way through the chancers to get to the guys out to just make an honest living. Very time consuming if you have to take time off for a quote visit each time, but the information I've got so far from some of you guys on the forum has really helped.
Incidentally, at one point I did just give up and OK a £300 test - after me hauling the kitchen carcasses out into the living room the CICEIC firm (a Which? 'Trusted Trader') then failed to turn up at the allotted time, and eventually a junior at the firm arrived saying that "the Boss and his son had to go to a [no doubt more lucrative] emergency in the night" so he'd come in the meantime. When I asked when the others would be turning up he looked embarrassed and shrugged his shoulders, so I gently turned him round and told him that I wasn't in the habit of paying good money to unreliable companies. (Assuming I might go on to post negative comments on his various shiny social media accounts, the Boss phoned the next day to make out that he hadn't been able to come due to his son 'being ill' - he clearly hadn't realised that the junior had let slip the real reason).

Where do you get £300 from? Basic tests of the circuits and the RCD won't take long.
I'm not suggesting a full EICR with associated paperwork etc, just basic tests to establish the state of play.
See earlier posts - from now 4 local (3 NICEIC, 1 not) sparks. None mentioned Shaun's sort of first step solution but am now glad to be aware of this.

think i stated in an earlier post that manchester is within my area of operations and could certainly come over to give an honest appraisal and maybe fix the problem for a lot less than £300

A shame, these qualified but greedy types are making it harder for the decent sparks out there. Neighbours of mine who sensibly thought about a rewire before doing extensive redecorations and plastering gave up after receiving 4 over-the-top quotes and just went ahead with the decorating instead..

If all 4 quotes were of the similar 'over the top' amount, then they probably weren't over-the-top!

Yeah, a lot on today. Just wondering why nobody seems to be able to answer the original question i.e. if the RCD has been bypassed, why not connect it up again and test that circuit?? - given the old cooker which might have been the reason for the bypassing (by previous electrician) has now been replaced.
If that solves, a lot less than £500...
Well you seem to know best so why ask advice from qualified people?

Moved into 60's semi
Moved into 60's semi and had work done to renew kitchen, including new induction hob, cooker etc.
3 qualified electricians came to quote and each mentioned that someone had bypassed one of the RCDs (?) in the main box (Branded GET/Schupa), so that circuits to the right of the attached photo are not protected. (marked by yellow arrow)
All wanted to do full PAT and replace box before actually attaching new applicances, which may be fair enough.
But what I don't get is why nobody as yet has suggested simply reinstating the bypassed circuit - and seeing if it trips now that the old appliances (including an old Belling cooker) have been replaced by new ones.
That way I might be able to continue with existing box temporarily (as funds are limited due to having had to do various other works in house).View attachment 47864
Any thoughts? Thanks.
First of all the CU does not seem to conform to BS7671 2015 ammendment as it requires you to have metal one.
I think that is why they want to change it.
After which the will do a full test
and issue a new EIC.
and had work done to renew kitchen, including new induction hob, cooker etc.
3 qualified electricians came to quote and each mentioned that someone had bypassed one of the RCDs (?) in the main box (Branded GET/Schupa), so that circuits to the right of the attached photo are not protected. (marked by yellow arrow)
All wanted to do full PAT and replace box before actually attaching new applicances, which may be fair enough.
But what I don't get is why nobody as yet has suggested simply reinstating the bypassed circuit - and seeing if it trips now that the old appliances (including an old Belling cooker) have been replaced by new ones.
That way I might be able to continue with existing box temporarily (as funds are limited due to having had to do various other works in house).View attachment 47864
Any thoughts? Thanks.

Well you seem to know best so why ask advice from qualified people?
There are two types of people who respond to internet forum posts - those who actually want to help, and those who just want to carp or show how witty they think they are.
If you take the time to read the full thread, you'll see that the question I asked was whether a £300 test (and seemingly an automatic replacement of the CU at £200 +) was the only first remedial step possible. A couple of forum users have helpfully pointed out that in fact other options are indeed available, and I shall take their constructive advice.

There are two types of people who respond to internet forum posts - those who actually want to help, and those who just want to carp or show how witty they think they are.
If you take the time to read the full thread, you'll see that the question I asked was whether a £300 test (and seemingly an automatic replacement of the CU at £200 +) was the only first remedial step possible. A couple of forum users have helpfully pointed out that in fact other options are indeed available, and I shall take their constructive advice.
it's a forum.youwill,get various replies, some constructive, some not, some funny, some not.this is what separates us from sheep. we don't all follow the herd (or is it fluck for sheep).

Reply to Best first step to remedy bypassed domestic RCD box? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock