Discuss Best Ladders for Electricians? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I would use a bossman tower for that kind of thing. But then I am watched closely H&S wise so cant get away with using ladders as I have to do a risk ---. for tying my shoelaces etc. However I think Bossman do very good ladders generally. If I do have to use a ladder I have to put chemical tie anchors to strap the ladder to. Dont blame me its just the way it works in commercial environments.

I would use a bossman tower for that kind of thing. But then I am watched closely H&S wise so cant get away with using ladders as I have to do a risk ---. for tying my shoelaces etc. However I think Bossman do very good ladders generally. If I do have to use a ladder I have to put chemical tie anchors to strap the ladder to. Dont blame me its just the way it works in commercial environments.

What do you stand on when fitting the anchors?

Where do you get bossman ladders (or do you mean youngman?) Cheers

Maybe youre in the wrong job Handysparks? H&S has got us all over a barrell.
How do you mean hes in the wrong job? I am guessing the guy is just trying to make a living and can't afford to resort to such over the top nonsense? Chemical anchors god help us.......

How do you mean hes in the wrong job? I am guessing the guy is just trying to make a living and can't afford to resort to such over the top nonsense? Chemical anchors god help us.......
I mean in the sense that no one cares if HandySparks going up a ladder in a less safe way as long as the job is done. You may think chemical anchors is an eye-rolling event as no doubt many do. However if I let say an apprentice up a ladder at 20 ft and they fall because the ladder slips they are going to hospital at best and I am going to prison. However if I thought about it and secured the ladder and it did not slip I think that is better.

Last edited by a moderator:
ladders don't slip if you put them up right.

... no one cares if HandySparks going up a ladder in a less safe way as long as the job is done.

I care!

The most serious accident I've had doing this job is falling off a short step ladder placed insecurely. Cut my hand open by landing on a flower pot.

I take ladder safety seriously. I'll use some rubber pads designed for the job to level up the footing if required, and I'll avoid it completely if the surface is slippery due to moisture, frost or algae. Occasionally I'll get someone to stand with both feet on the bottom rung to add some extra grip.

I always wonder at the uselessness of someone 'footing' a ladder by just standing at the bottom and resting a foot on the bottom rung.

More stuff:

Don't steady that ladder it's more dangerous - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1456513/Dont-steady-that-ladder-its-more-dangerous.html

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg455.pdf

I'm sure Mr and Mrs "just had a new extension" is going to love it when the spark turns up and shoves an eye-bolt in their lovely new brickwork just to stick a security light up? Get real.

Reply to Best Ladders for Electricians? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock