Discuss Best long term training route for mature career changer! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

PeteMac

Hi guys,

Current career is really seasonal, and weather depended all year round (After 30 years I really need a proper job!)! Looking to train as an electrician, however on looking into the details, I found scam companies, incomplete web sites and complete confusion/half truths by the most training providers.

Couple of army mates have been really successful after completing intense 4 week courses, however some have not!

I wish to be able to do a full range of work and be a professional and conscience tradesman, appreciate there are no shortcuts.

I known 47 a bit late to get into a trade and I have missed the opportunity of an apprenticeship, I totally up for complete self funding and just getting my head down and doing the time it takes to achieve a long term goal.

Appreciate any good advice, perpetually with the recent changes into the qualifications needed!

Regards,

Pete

Do yourself a favour and stay away from the 5 week courses.

If you are serious then find a labourer/mates job with a local electrical contracting firm.

Then attend night courses for your quals.

Will take longer but you will end up an Electrician at the end of it.

Pete, try and get on an agency as an electricians mate, you will pick things up, I know the money may be not so good but put yourself through college at night on a proper course, don`t be a Electrical Trainee, you will benefit in the long run,
All the best S.

:iagree:
As staylor says test the water by doing a bit of agency 'mate' work where you'll be working in the real world alongside real electricians and get a feel for the job, then you can make an informed decision as to whether or not it's for you, without having made a commitment.
Start off by getting some PPEs (hard hat, hi-viz, steel toecaps) and some basic hand tools (pliers, cutters, wire strippers, hammer etc) and maybe a battery drill, and calling around your local construction agencies, or turning up on site and speaking to the electrical foreman.

As regards training, go into your local further education college and speak to someone there. Most offer several classes so you'll be put in the most appropriate one with people in your situation.
Chances are the guys you work with on site will have gone to that college anyway, which will give you a conversational topic and look better on your CV.

Local colleges tend to be better because they will have been established for longer and it is harder for them to rebrand if they get themselves a bad name.

Good advice above mate, as they have said stay clear short course they are just not good enough and all you will learn is very basic stuff. They will tell you there is a shortage of electricians which is bs but they have to tell you all the stuff you want to hear.

Reply to Best long term training route for mature career changer! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net