Discuss Best Method for Splicing into a Radial Power Circuit? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone, looking for a bit of advice on extending an existing radial circuit in my home (England, UK). I'm fairly experienced with basic electrical works, and regularly convert homes to 'smart homes', however the following has me stumped.

The house was rewired 5-6 years ago, prior to my purchase.

Which of the following would you recommend as "best" (I suspect both are probably ok, with option B being the easiest):

A) Breaking into / splitting the radial (sorry about my terminology):
Best Method for Splicing into a Radial Power Circuit? Option A.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Or, B) Splicing into the radial:
Best Method for Splicing into a Radial Power Circuit? Option B.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

A few other queries connected to the above:

1. From my research I'm getting conflicting information about the number of permitted outlets on a spur:
  2. Is the existing 16B MCB sufficient, from my research it should really be a 20A MCB? Some some sources state that 16A is ok, others quote regulations that a radial should be on a 20A MCB. Considering that I'm more than doubling the outlets, I suspect I need to upgrade to 20A?
  3. Is it ok to place junction boxes in the ceiling void (they will be inaccessible once the new plasterboard goes up). I don't really fancy the extra chasing required to spur from the existing sockets. Are Wagos ok in the ceiling void, within Wago boxes of course?

From your first link, that means only one UNFUSED spur from a ring circuit.
If the spur is fused down, then it can have more than one, treated as a radial off a ring.

As for your project... you can add more sockets to a radial as you need them, but obviously you can’t use a great amount of electricity from them. 16 or 20, either would be fine depending how the 2.5 cable is run. (Less for running through insulation, for example)
It’s good practice to have as little joints as possible, so splicing would be better than cutting in and extending.

Would it be possible to convert this to a ring?

Hi - my 20p :)
  • simplest circuit design is best.
  • no it’s not ok to create inaccessible joints in ceilings unless you have skills and material to make a Maintenance Free junction.
  • the current rating of the circuit depends on both the conductor size and how it’s been installed. If the 2.5mm cable is running in the ceiling is covered by thick insulation that may explain the existing 16A MCB.
  • have you thought about how you will test for Zs on your new outlets?

Reactions: DPG
Thanks for the prompt replies, super helpful.

I'm not opposed to making this circuit into a ring final. I have a twin blade chaser and a clear route back to the consumer unit, so a good suggestion. The only problem may be where I have 3 sockets together, would this require a fused spur, I think not as it would be two separate spurs off a single socket in the loop (4 wires into the 'master' socket is not ideal but unfortunately unavoidable in this position).

The sockets only serve a Living Room and Play room, thus only going to be running a TV, Laptop, table lamps, small gadgets and the occasional Vacuum Cleaner, however I think I will still convert to a 32 amp ring final to allow for future abuse (future owner may plug in a bunch of heaters lol).

The existing the cables were not run through insulation, but I plan to pack the ceiling voids full of acoustic insulation before installing the new ceiling.

I will pull new cables where possible to avoid hidden junctions, sticking with layout 'A' to maintain a compliant ring. I am competent enough to form MF junctions where necessary, I just wasn't sure if it was permitted for power circuits. Most of the existing drops are in oval trunking within the walls so hopefully not too hard to pull some new wires through.

Reply to Best Method for Splicing into a Radial Power Circuit? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock