Discuss Best place to buy LED bulbs. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm considering replacing all the lighting in our bungalow with LED bulbs including the six foot long flurecent fitting in the garage. Can anyone recomend the best place to use, Homebase, B & Q sort of outlet.

For local type places >Tool station or screwfix will always be the winners

A good online supplier has always been Ledhut, but a quick look at their website shows the majority of their lines as 'sold out'. Don't quite know what's going on there.
If replacing 'ordinary' B22 and ES lamps, or their cfl equivalents, go for the filament type LED lamps. More efficient than the hemispherical type on a large base, and give an 'all round' pattern of light, the same as an old incandescent lamp.

99% of the time I get all my spare lamps from Screwfix

Other than that I sometimes use TLC

Just happened to be looking at Toolstation's site earlier and noticed their Wessex lamps are well priced. Never tried these lamps as I can't just pop into a branch in NI, but would imagine they're on a par with LAP and even more keenly priced.

Screwfix don't seem to list anything GLS at more than about 1000lm, which is a bit dim for 'single lamp in the middle of the ceiling' type applications, although I see Toolstation has a 1500lm BC and ES filament lamp listed, which is more like it.
CPC has always been another supplier that I've used.
Coincidence this thread coming up today! I thought that I'd been 100% LED for about six years, but earlier today I ventured into one of my attics, to sort an inline fan, and found a cfl when I turned the switch on. Didn't have ten minutes spare to wait for it to get brighter than a candle, so it's now binned and replaced by a 12W LED.

Last edited:
Screwfix don't seem to list anything GLS at more than about 1000lm, which is a bit dim for 'single lamp in the middle of the ceiling' type applications
It is odd as same bunch as B&Q who did have 15W BC/ES lamps last time I looked that are closer to the good old 100W we loved for that.

I detested the CFL lamps, slow to start and odd colour rendering. After a decade or two LED lights are now comparable to filament, but lower power!

Seems B&Q still offer those 15W bulbs from Diall.

The Toolstation offering is the considerably more efficient and more attractive filament type: Integral LED Filament Dimmable GLS A67 Plastic Lamp 12W BC (B22d) 1521lm - https://www.toolstation.com/integral-led-filament-dimmable-gls-a67-plastic-lamp/p45676

Toolstation have a couple of other options with similar output.

Intersting that you posted those filament lamps as I generally look past suc lamps - all LED filament lamps that I've seen have been quite poor in terms of output, so now have to reconsider that line of thinking.

The owners of this forum have had to do a 'reset' which has resulted in the high level of adverts flooding the place at the moment. They are currently working hard to resolve the issue, which should be resolved in a few days.

Reply to Best place to buy LED bulbs. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock