Discuss Best Powertools brands around!! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Best Brands?

• Dewalt

Votes: 93 18.8%
  • Bosch

Votes: 127 25.7%
  • Makita

Votes: 196 39.6%
  • Hilti

Votes: 67 13.5%
  • Ryobi

Votes: 12 2.4%

• Total voters
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Used all 5 loads. The order is Hilti, Hilti , Hilti then Makita, Dewalt, Bosch, my daughters toy tools, Ryobi.

Hilti cost loads but worth every penny.

I just had a good deal at my local screwfix today a bosch 240v sds plus chisel drill and a 12v cordles bosch drill/driver with spare battery for £99.99 inclusive of vat reduced from £199.99 a good deal i thought i have just used the sds and its a good bit of kit so bosch gets my vote:)

Hi Guys,
Newbie here, Been around in the building trade a long time and managed to accumilate a shocking amount of tools.

I tend to find that Dewalt arent all that, quite expensive and not as good as other brands.

I had a top of the range Ryobi For a short length of time and the quality was shocking.

I have never really got into Bosch for no reason just i have never bought one.

My current collection is makita for my smaller power tools, i find them to be good quality, good to use and good value for money.

The bigger stuff i tend to use is all Hilti, now this stuff is brilliant no two ways about it

Thanks for the warm welcome Mac, Mate of mine swears by dewalt and looks at me like i have wiped my arse with his cat when i critisise them, i think thats the fantastic part, theres something for everyone

Makita latest cortless are lighter,longer lasting and great value.Im new to being a trainee spark but at $& yea5rs old Ive used a few products in the past. Still love my bosch though. Few Dewalt I had were poor quility.Im sure I just had bad luck .
Any way, score me for Makita.

dewalt dc223 24v

bosch GBH sds (choppa)240
bosch GBH sds(choppa outa) + bosch 12.2v @screwfix for a ton

makita bhp lithium combi18v

hitachi grinder pair 4.5" and 9" from screwfix

playing the field realise everything is good depending on the colur of your money
my first bosch sds ive had 5 yrs ( my first eva powertool) and has taken a beating - i once let a polish ucnt use it till it was burning hot, grease coming out the end. i had a few sharp wordds with him, but the bocsh wasnt the least bit affected.

so i gotta say its the bosch thats the hardest,
makita the most innovative design and technology
dewalt is the flashiest, so much so that itll get nicked

Anybody heard of milwaukee? They are the dogs, surprised they haven't been mentioned.

Anybody heard of milwaukee? They are the dogs, surprised they haven't been mentioned.

Sorry just realised somebody has heard of milwaukee in earlier reply who also thought they're the dogs..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm There's a few tool snobs out there.

Dewalt ~ Elu's bought out by Black & decker I believe. Not really a fan (too much yellow) but the popularity must count for something. I have a Dewalt chopsaw & its ok but it has alignment problems & a mates hitachi just knocks mine into a cocked hat.

Ryobi's ~ cheap, but this makes them throw away so by the time they break it doesn't matter. (If they break under warrenty who cares; a little inconveinient maybe) (yes I have a set of battery drills but they have been ok):eek:

Hitachi 240v sds Strong & capable mines lasted years & Hitachi angle grinder ~ powerful (now where's that armoured van ;))
Hilti 110v sds ~ My favourite ~ the mutts knees & bees -------s ~ I had mine for about 20 years & has even survived the brickie brother-in-laws (neanderthal) abuse.

Makita battery drills ~ I've had the 9.6 & 12v varieties ~ They're ok batteries die a bit quick (nicad memory seems to be particularly bad)

I used to own Bosch until my van was broken into, I still mourn their passing (tool thieves; lowest of the low they are stealing your livelihood also)

I have other cheaper makes of tools that are occassional use so why pay silly prices.

P.s. I am a toolaholic (as confirmed in another post) so any tool is a great tool.:D

gota say that my dewalt and hitachi 18v drill/driver/ "hammer" drills are poor for drilling 5.5holes into anything other than breese or light block.... wont drill red brick or any other brick/concreet in a hurry, hammer got no poke.....

good as a driver/ 1st fix in new house tool... ,
hitachi nice n light use for drilling holes for downlights in plasterboard as its easy to lift / dont mind filling it with plaster dust.

hitachi batteries die to fast, dont seem 2hold charge. dewalt is better for tourque and battery life

the bosses hilti 36V lithimu cordless SDS+ is mint. think its a TE36A or something. drills 25mm holes in concreet....

I think Drill Bits are an important factor also.

Ive used my Dewalt 18v with cheapo bits and its been crap, but put in the Dewalt brand drill bits and it makes a massive difference.

I agree with the "too much yellow" and the Dewalt gear does look similar to the plastic stuff i buy my
2 year old lad!

I had a Ryobi 24v SDS drill which was cheap and actually pretty good.
It also meant i could sling it about and not worry about getting it full of crap.

Everything ive bought from Bosch has fallen apart.

Best thing ive ever bought is my Dewalt Impact driver.
When its cold and icy on a january evening, i still get off my a*se to bring it in from the van.

I think Drill Bits are an important factor also.

Ive used my Dewalt 18v with cheapo bits and its been crap, but put in the Dewalt brand drill bits and it makes a massive difference.

I agree with the "too much yellow" and the Dewalt gear does look similar to the plastic stuff i buy my
2 year old lad!

I had a Ryobi 24v SDS drill which was cheap and actually pretty good.
It also meant i could sling it about and not worry about getting it full of crap.

Everything ive bought from Bosch has fallen apart.

Best thing ive ever bought is my Dewalt Impact driver.
When its cold and icy on a january evening, i still get off my a*se to bring it in from the van.

Agree about the comment on drill bits, i got sick of burning sds fixings and eventually let the Hilti rep talk me into having some hilti bits, they are nothing short of brilliant, 4 tips on a bit and double screw, three times the life and twice as fast

You've gotta be earning some serious money to buy the Hilti gear though.

Isn't it mainly for heavy construction work or am I missing a range of "everyday" Hilti power tools that I can justify splashing out on?

well i dont think any of us would be splashing out on hilti gear, makita is my standard 18v baby its my pride and joy the missus dont get it but they provide my living and i dont mind shelling out for good gear that lasts...my moto in life ....you buy cheap you pay twice...

You've gotta be earning some serious money to buy the Hilti gear though.

Isn't it mainly for heavy construction work or am I missing a range of "everyday" Hilti power tools that I can justify splashing out on?

My 110v Hilti is the same shape, size & weight as any other pistol drill, it is just made so much better, even down to the quality of the lead and it has not let me down in 20 years.

well i dont think any of us would be splashing out on hilti gear, makita is my standard 18v baby its my pride and joy the missus dont get it but they provide my living and i dont mind shelling out for good gear that lasts...my moto in life ....you buy cheap you pay twice...

Not arguing with that, just that if you are only going to use the tool occasionally (such as my biscuit jointer) why buy the best &/or most expensive.

Makita do it for me ..

Had a makita 110v angle drill once - probably the best tool I ever had - till it got nicked - someone had a right result - still lose sleep over it - therapys not helping - should never ave left it on site - if only i thought to put it in the boot- maybe it'll turn up again one day - doubt it tho - has anyone seen it? blue it was - maybe not - sholdnt beat meself up over it - it was my fault - no it wasnt - help...

Reply to Best Powertools brands around!! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock